Working closely with NEON’s TOS scientists, the quantitative ecologist/biostatistician will provide guidance and statistical support in developing approaches to optimize ecological sampling designs and data analyses. Particular emphasis will be on assisting with evaluation of spatial sampling designs and temporal sampling strategies for a wide range of ecological taxa and environmental processes. These evaluations will include identifying metrics to assess confidence in density estimates and optimizing the spatiotemporal sampling approach using initial and prototype datasets from Observatory sites. The ideal candidate will also have the capability to develop approaches for quantifying and tracking uncertainty, calculating error budgets, and developing models for trend detection. This position reports to the Assistant Director of the Fundamental Sentinel Unit.
Must have permanent authorization for US employment.
This position will be a two year term assignment.
This position will be located at NEON Headquarters in Boulder, CO.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Develop, test and assist in the implementation of statistical and modeling applications used by TOS staff.
• Play a key leadership role in utilizing statistical and modeling strategies to optimize TOS sampling designs and in developing integrated statistical analyses.
• Provide critical input to field protocol development and QA/QC plans.
• Conduct statistical analyses and modeling in collaboration with science staff and external experts.
• Participate in the development and approval of standardized documentation for these processes, following documentation standards.
• Collaborate with NEON Cyber-Infrastructure, Data Products and Science teams as well as external users.
• Provide training to users on specialized applications as needed.
• Communicate efforts to the ecological community (e.g. presentations, reports, publications).
PhD in biology, ecology, statistics, applied mathematics, or related field or MS plus 2 or more years’ experience as a quantitative ecologist supporting biostatistical and ecological modeling tools and applications.
Required Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Strong record of achievement in the areas of quantitative ecology, ecological modeling and analysis, and/or statistical applications in ecological investigations.
• Strong analytical and creative problem skills – demonstrated ability to successfully apply experience and judgment to both short- and long-term challenges.
• Ability to effectively explain complex statistical approaches to individuals from different disciplinary backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to interact effectively with a wide range of scientific, technical, and management staff, stakeholders, and vendors.
• Demonstrated ability to collaborate with employees from a variety of scientific backgrounds and degrees of interest/skill in ecological modeling and statistical approaches.
• Ability to work independently and as part of an active science team.
• Experience using hierarchical Bayesian methods.
• Expertise with common statistical software packages (e.g., R, Matlab).
• Scientific writing and review.
• Open to undertaking responsibilities beyond those associated with individually assigned projects.
Preferred Experience, Knowledge, Skills:
• Knowledge of field biology protocols and practices
• History of active engagement with the ecological and broader natural sciences communities.
• Experience with large scale inventory and monitoring programs.
• Proficiency with RDBMS-based (MySQL, Oracle) applications, database concepts, major programming languages (e.g. C/C+), and scripting languages (e.g. Python).
• Experience using Monte Carlo modeling techniques.
• Experience with software, models, and methods for animal occupancy and density estimation.
• Self-starter who can create new opportunities and use novel quantitative methods to enable continental-scale research.
NEON Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans and Disabled Persons are encouraged to apply.
NEON Systems, Inc. (NEON) is a provider of enterprise-class mainframe integration software. NEON develops, markets and supports a unified...