The Climate Corporation’s mission is to help all the world’s people and businesses manage and adapt to climate change. To achieve our mission, we have built a unique technology platform to enable, for the first time, the real-time pricing and purchasing of customizable weather insurance. Managing over 200 TB of data, including 34 trillion+ weather simulation data points, 150 billion soil type observations, and more than 3 million daily weather measurements, we are one of the largest users of Amazon Web Services.
The Climate Corporation is focused on helping farmers protect and increase their profits in the face of increasingly extreme weather. At the heart of the company is our unique Climate Insights™ technology platform, which encompasses our core competencies across weather monitoring, agronomic modeling, and weather simulation. This platform powers the company’s portfolio of technology-based products and services, which are revolutionizing agricultural risk management and farm management.
At The Climate Corporation, leaving a mark on the world is in our DNA; we want to make a lasting and meaningful real-world impact. We relish big problems because they are the most interesting to tackle, the most rewarding, and typically, the most valuable to solve. We also thrive on finding the possible in the impossible. If you are the best at what you do, you like solving interesting problems, and you are looking for like-minded people dedicated to having a major impact on the world, we are eager to talk with you.
See our video about what it’s like to work at The Climate Corporation: http://vimeo.com/63381109
The Climate Corporation is looking for experienced applied scientists to join our quantitative teams. We leverage big data and cloud computing to tackle real-world problems in statistics, machine learning, climatology, and risk management. We work with weather data, forecasts, field trials data, agricultural statistics, geological surveys, satellite images, and more. We are looking for researchers with expertise in at least one of the fields in our areas of active research.
Active areas of research :
- spatio-temporal modeling
- bayesian hierarchical modeling
- multivariate time series
- latent feature modeling
- feature extraction
- dimension reduction
- multivariate change point detection
- variable selection
- graphical models
- image classification and clustering
- design and analysis of experiments
- design and analysis of observational studies
What you will do:
- Collaborate with other team members on research endeavors and writing code.
- Engage in active research projects and produce clear, coherent research documents in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Write beautiful, robust, well-documented research code.
- Collaborate with engineers to produce production-scale models.
- Communicate research results within the quantitative teams and to engineering and product teams.
What you bring to the table:
- Ph.D. in a quantitative discipline; training in meteorology or climatology is not required.
- Applied knowledge in statistics and machine learning.
- Experience with statistical software environments such as R, Matlab or Python.
- Excitement to learn new topics, develop new skills and use new tools.
- Driven to solve problems, meet deadlines, and build whatever is necessary along the way.
- Communication and collaboration skills under pressure.
- Experience with programming languages including Python or Clojure is a plus.
- Experience implementing algorithms on big data is a plus.
What We Offer:
Our team is composed of top scientist and engineers. The environment is extremely engaging and fast-paced, with dozens of specialties coming together to provide the best possible products and experience for our customers.
Competitive salary, excellent benefits, and some of the best perks in the industry, including:
- We let you explore personally compelling topics by occasionally taking time to work on independent research projects
- We provide lunch, dinner and a large assortment of snacks and drinks throughout the day.
- Company sponsored outings, including go-kart races, curling, holiday yacht parties, sporting events, etc.
- We actively participate in workshops and scientific conferences such as NIPS, AGU and AMS. We collaborate with research facilities and academic organizations. We also have an in-house seminar series given by both guest lecturers and also our own scientists.
- Our engineers and scientists are encouraged to visit agents and farmers to see first-hand how our products are being used and get feedback.
- Our researchers are encouraged to explore new methodologies and collaborate throughout the research process from brainstorming idea to pair-programming their solutions. Our research platform supports fast iterations and development allowing research to make it quickly into production. We communicate our research results with other scientists and people in the company.
- Unique opportunity to make a real world impact - we are solving problems that have a massive impact on farmers lives and food security.
- We strive for high quality in everything we do. From the precision of our agronomic models and the performance of our in-house databases, to the food we serve for lunch everyday; we are constantly refining and improving.
The Climate Corporation - 10 months ago