Job Posting, June 2013 – Farm to School Program Manager
Overview: Farm to School programs around the country offer a proven strategy for influencing children’s diets toward the inclusion of more fresh, healthy foods, which in turn helps ensure healthy children with the best chances for strong academic performance. By increasing children’s awareness of the benefits of fresh local foods, and offering access to these foods in their classrooms, lunchrooms, and throughout the school culture, we aim to influence the next generation of consumers toward more healthy and responsible food choices.At the same time, farmers in the region have the opportunity to develop a stable new market for their products.
The program goals are to:
1) Increase the amount of locally-produced, nutritious foods available to children at school,
2) Increase students’ awareness of the benefits of eating locally and their willingness to try a
wider variety of healthy foods through taste and educational programming,
3) Build the institutional market for local foods.
The Farm to School Program Manager will provide management for all aspects of the Farm to School program including:
- Advocating for and facilitating incorporation of local foods into school meals
- Procuring, processing, and distributing local produce for the local foods Snack Program
- Coordinating REAP classroom education programming
- Hiring and supervisingAmeriCorps, interns, and LTE staff
- Coordinating the annual Taste of Wisconsin School Holiday Fundraiser Sale
- Representing REAP on local coalitions and committees
- Representing REAP at events and conferences
- Coordinating and executing existing grant work plans and reporting requirements
- Pursuing grant opportunities and participating in other fundraising duties for the continuation of the program.
Accountability : The Farm to School Program Manager will be an employee of REAP Food Group and report to the Executive Director.
- Work with REAP Executive Director and Board of Directors to develop strategic goals for the future of the Farm to School program.
- Provide advocacy and facilitation for successful procurement and promotion of local foods by Madison Metropolitan School District food service.
- Manage operations of REAP’s Farm to School Snack Program including procurement, processing, distribution, accompanying educational information, billing, and evaluation for 8-12 low-income Madison elementary schools.
- Oversee AmeriCorps members, area chefs, and volunteers to conduct food education units in 8-12 Madison elementary schools and the Chef in the Classroom program in one Madison middle school and one high school.
- Oversee one LTE, AmeriCorps members, and volunteers to coordinate the annual Taste of Wisconsin School Sale for 20+ participating schools.
- Recruit, hire, and manage four-six AmeriCorps members. Create and oversee execution of work plans for each member, providing guidance and support for the members’ work, and ensuring achievement of AmeriCorps goals. Serve as site coordinator to provide required reporting to the state Farm to School AmeriCorps Coordinator.
- Coordinate annual Taste of Wisconsin public gift box sale in tandem with the annual school sale.
- Pursue grant opportunities and participate in other fundraising duties.
- Participate in generating positive local publicity for project –invite and host local media, politicians, and funders to attend appropriate school events, activities or field trips.
- Represent REAP and the Farm to School program at select conferences and public speaking engagements.
- Provide content updates to the Farm to School section of REAP’s website, provide regular communications with REAP members and friends through the REAP newsletter and posts on Facebook.
- Document activities and time spent for the purpose of grant reporting, evaluation, record keeping, and learning from the experiences of project planning and implementation.
Candidates with any of the following qualifications will receive additional consideration:
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in education, nutrition, environmental science, food science, and/or agriculture.
- Minimum two years experience with program management and development.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills in a team setting.
- Proficiency in establishing and maintaining professional relationships and networks.
- Ability to create own workplan and work productively with indirect supervision.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers.
- Proficiency word processing, spreadsheet, and Adobe graphics software.
Appointment Type: This is a full-time appointment. As with all positions in non-profit settings, the position is dependent on secured funding from year to year. The position includes holiday, sick, vacation, and health benefits.
- Familiarity with farms and food producers that directly serve the Madison area.
- Familiarity with food safety, food processing, and/or institutional production kitchen protocols.
- Knowledge of the principles of sustainable agriculture and local food system development.
- Understanding of the challenges of running a sustainable farming enterprise.
- Experience working with K-12 schools and/or youth in an educational setting.
- Experience working with socially, economically and/or ethnically diverse populations.
Salary: $35,000 annual.
Application Procedure and Deadline:
To apply, send a resume, a cover letter, and three professional references. Cover letter must address why you are interested in doing this work, and specific examples of how your qualifications align with the requirements for the position.
Send your paper application materials by July 10th, 2013 to:
Farm to School Program Manager
REAP Food Group
306 E. Wilson St. #2E
Madison, WI 53703
Please do not submit application materials by email.
Be Sociable, Share!
Sign in with Twitter
Sign in with Facebook
Email Not published
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail
Environmental Law & Policy Center - 8 months ago