The RN II is a staff nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II provides direct patient care effectively and efficiently to a patient team which may include patients with varied and complex needs. The RN II assumes leadership roles with progressive responsibility including but not limited to participating in or leading unit and shared governance initiatives, serving as charge nurse or preceptor to students or new employees, and possibly contributing to service line or hospital wide initiatives Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital's Pillars of Excellence: People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values) Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness) Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions) Finance (driving for performance excellence) Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. LEADERSHIP a. Provides care to increasingly complex patients and coordinates the interdisciplinary team. (Quality/Safety) b. Identifies and presents areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and offers solutions by participating in unit projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) c. Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of peers. (People) d. Provides input into the unit resource utilization including unit capital and operational budget needs. (Finance) e. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
2. PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE a. Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient's priorities and abilities. (Service) b. Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) c. Supports patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues. (Service) d. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
3. CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING a. Follows the nursing process, modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient's condition, demonstrates clinical problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. (Quality/Safety) b. Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations. (Quality/Safety) c. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
4. COMMUNICATION a. Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, lis10s and responds to the ideas of others. (People) b. Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) c. Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the plan of care. (Service)
5. TEAMWORK a. Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation, organizes multiple priorities and anticipates/plans for potential problems. (Quality/Safety) b. Uses downtime efficiently, aware of team members' workload, consis10tly offers assistance, and responds positively to requests for assistance from other team members. (People) c. Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation)
6. SAFETY a. Reports ¿near misses¿ as well as errors promptly and consis10tly to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) b. Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary team concerning safety data to improve outcomes. (Quality/Safety) c. Implements unit and hospital initiatives to achieve National Patient Safety Goals. (Quality/Safety)
7. EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH a. Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Initiates evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on these observations. (Innovation/Growth) b. Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents options to shared governance and leadership. (Quality/Safety) c. Assures that designated core measures are met in providing care. (Quality/Safety)
8. STAFF EDUCATION a. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (Growth/Innovation) b. Implements staff education specific to patient populations and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. May include preceptorship. (People)
9. PROFESSIONAL CONTRIBUTIONS a. Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Clinical Career Path program guide.
10. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
11. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
12. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing Bachelor's degree required for new hires at TMH, preferred at TMH system hospitals 10 CEU's annually (5 within specialty)
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS At least 18 months' experience required
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered nurse with current Texas license BLS Other certifications as required by unit/service
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable. 2. Basic computer skills 3. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, ¿Competence of Nursing Staff¿ and HR 07 ¿Competency Assessment¿
Houston Methodist - 14 months ago