General Statement of Duties
The Charge Nurse is a Registered Nurse (R.N.) with advanced leadership skills and is responsible for the coordination of unit operations during a particular shift. In this leadership role the Charge Nurse promotes collaboration among all members of the team, facilitates throughput and prevents or resolves conflict, role models and promotes Methodist Excellence (ME) standards of behavior while providing for an optimal patient care and work environment during the designated shift.
Essential Job Functions
1. Coordinates, directs, assesses, modifies and formulates an appropriate staff assignment plan that addresses acuity, competency of staff and staff mix (RN, LVN, PCA).
2. Serves as the primary decision maker for clinical operations during a given shift and modifies staff assignment/mix according to the changes in patient acuity and/or volume.
3. Role models professional standards of behavior of the nursing practice as evidenced by the nurse practice act.
4. Serves as primary resource for the unit, to other nursing personnel, physicians and other members of the team. Ensures evidence-based care measures are followed and demonstrates effective clinical leadership skills.
5. Demonstrates successful conflict resolution in a timely manner with patients, families and other healthcare team members.
6. Consistently demonstrates ME standards of behavior and holds staff accountable for the same.
Minimum Education and Experience
1. Graduate of an accredited program of nursing education (associate degree, diploma or baccalaureate program
2. As of March 29, 2011, must have minimum of 2 years clinical practice in specialty area they are applying
3. Must be a current RN III or above (and remain in good standing) in the Clinical Excellence program; exceptions may only be approved by the facility C.N.O. or C.N.E.
4. Successfully completes competencies as defined by department/unit and/or clinical specialty area
Certification in specialty
Minimum License and Certificates Required
Must be licensed as a RN in the state of Texas.
As we’ve grown over the last few year, we continue to build on our reputation as a hospital where high-tech and high-touch come...