Under the supervision of the Branch Manager the triage nurse will handle phone calls from patients and customers seeking medical information and/or medical attention, and dispatch after hours field staff when warranted. The triage nurse works in collaboration with clinical teams to provide support to after-hours field staff and demonstrates ability to make decisions based on a sound base of critical thinking skills.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS: Graduate of an accredited Associate Degree or Baccalaureate School of Nursing.
Licensure/Certifications: Must have current licensure by the Georgia State Board of Nursing and a current valid CPR certificate.
Previous Experience: Minimum 3 years experience in critical care, medical-surgical nursing, Hospice, Oncology or community health nursing. Preference given to national certification in a clinical field.
Knowledge/Training: Knowledge of the physical, social and emotional needs of the elderly disabled and terminally ill. Knowledge of Medicare, Medicaid and other funding source regulations as applied to hospice care services. Demonstrate knowledge and competence in advanced practice nursing skills, including the nursing process and collaborating with interdisciplinary team. Skill in communications in order that information can be exchanged effectively with persons at various educational and attitudinal levels. Knowledge of supervision in order to effectively relate with volunteers and staff.
Transportation: Must have reliable transportation.
Computer Skills: Must be familiar with general use and functions of the computer, such as, user names and password concepts; internet; e-mail; navigation of computer desktop or laptop, including starting programs, using files, and windows, effectively use navigation buttons and tool bars; ability to self-manage online HR services and online training programs.
Job Specific Expectations:
• Triage inbound calls (gathering problem information, selecting appropriate triage guidelines, disposition(s) and care advice based VN approved protocols and department policies and procedures).
• Receives, triages, and responds to telephone calls from clients requiring medical and nursing advice.
• Assesses the customer’s problem utilizing established protocols & interactions via the phone and ensures caller understands and accepts advice/recommendations given.
• Keying orders and Change of information into the clinical record.
• Reporting critical lab work received after hours.
• Possess and maintain a thorough grasp of clinical knowledge pertaining to various disease states, medications, treatments.
• Apply primary nursing knowledge while performing all aspects of assigned tasks.
• Makes appropriate recommendations to include advice, appointments per protocol, or direction from physicians.
• Appropriately documents calls received with adherence to required standard documentation.
• Acts as an extension of the health care team to meet member needs.
• Assists members in empathetic, efficient manner to determine best course of action to resolve issue.
• Contributes to the development of protocols, procedures, patient education, & training, as assigned.
• Demonstrates ability to make quick decisions, based on sound base of critical thinking skills/guidelines by protocols
• Demonstrate ability to interact w/ a variety of levels of staff to provide good customer service to customers.
• Obtain patient treatment orders as directed by the Branch Manager.
• Performs other related duties as directed.
Visiting Nurse Health System, Georgia’s largest nonprofit provider of healthcare and hospice at home, 64 year tradition of serving its mission of improving the lives of those we serve. Our vision is to set the standard for quality in Georgia and be the first place patients, families, payers and other healthcare providers select when in need of homecare or hospice services.
Each year Visiting Nurse Health System provides professional clinical and care management services to more than 25,000 patients in metropolitan Atlanta.
Visiting Nurse Health System is an EOE.
Visiting Nurse Health System - 30+ days ago
Visiting Nurse is the leading provider of home healthcare and hospice care in Atlanta, Georgia, helping patients successfully manage their...