Position Title: Nursing Supervisor/RN
Departmental Title: Nursing
Supervisor’s Title: Nurse Manager/Shift Coordinator
To assure care of our geriatric residents is provided in a caring, timely and appropriate manner. To serve as a resource and coach to the nursing team on the unit for the particular shift.
1. Graduation from accrediting School of Nursing (Registered Nurse).
2. Current RN licensure by the Pennsylvania State Board of Nursing required.
3. CPR certification prior to or upon employment.
4. Previous leadership experience preferred but not essential. Long term care or geriatric nursing experience preferred.
1. Maintains knowledge of state regulations and monitors assigned nursing unit of continued compliance of regulations.
2. Attends inservice programs and stays abreast of current theories and practices in geriatric nursing.
3. Communicates effectively, assertively and in a non-aggressive manner. Maintains confidentiality of staff and residents. Establishes and maintains collaborative communications with physicians, other health care professionals and facility departments.
4. Maintains CPR certification. Initiates CPR and/or emergency measures in accordance with Masonic Village policies and medical directives.
5. Monitors nursing care by visiting residents routinely to insure continuity and continual evaluation of care as related to I.D.C.P. and physician’s orders. Assesses geriatric resident’s condition and nursing care needs. Assures that medications, treatments and care are being provided as ordered or specified on I.D.C.P. Maintains appropriate documentation of nursing observations, including follow-up documentation in medical record in accordance with acceptable medical standards of practice. Prepares equipment and assists physician during rounds or special treatments and examinations of residents. Provides direct resident care and transports residents to activities and appointments as time permits. Answers call light promptly. Performs glucometer readings, EKGs and other testing as needed.
6. Notifies physician of change in resident’s condition according to policy and acceptable professional standards. Notifies family of change in resident’s condition or hospitalization according to policy. Reports to oncoming staff on next tour concerning condition of resident or any unusual occurrences.
7. Assures that drug counts between shifts are done by assigned personnel.
8. Maintains standards of nursing care and implements the policies and procedures of the facility and nursing department.
9. Functions as an advocate for the geriatric resident and his/her family by supplying and interpreting information supporting decisions and facilitating communication. Participates in geriatric resident education as planned through the ID team.
10. Practices fiscal responsibility in the use of supplies and equipment and management of personnel and time.
11. Investigates and attempts to resolve resident, family/responsible party and staff concerns and refers them to appropriate individual or department if unresolved. Consult with Nurse Manager on specific nursing problems and interpretation of policies.
12. Pronounces death in the absence of a physician. Makes all appropriate notifications and documentation.
13. Participates in the orientation of new nursing department personnel.
14. Maintains a clean and safe work environment.
For more than 130 years, the Masonic Villages have been pursuing a vision of excellence to meet the needs of others. With locations in...