The Assistant Nurse Manager on the OB/GYN Unit must be familiar with high risk obstetrical patient care, postoperative care for obstetrical and gynecological patients, be clinically competent in neonatal resuscitation, and maintain newborn assessment skills.
Graduate from an accredited School of Nursing
One to two years of OB/GYN/Newborn clinical experience required. Evidence of leadership abilities required.
Current licensure to practice nursing in the State of Tennessee. Certification in obstetric, gynecologic, and/or neonatal care preferred.
1. Admission- Data Information Form, Triggers, Multi-disciplinary Education Sheet, Physical Assessment.
2. Patient Assessment & Documentation (per unit standards of care).
3. Select, Develop, and Individualize Plan of Care.
4. Implement Plan of Care.
5. Evaluate Plan of Care.
6. Pharmacology (administration and interaction).
8. Make Patient Assignment/Supervise delegated functions on Acuity.
9. Age Appropriate Care.
10. Knowledge of Growth and Development.
11. Lab Values, Panic Levels, & ABGs, (assess and intervention).
12. Interpersonal Communication.
13. Visits patients during shift and documents RN rounds.
14. Assists staff in ensuring unit standards are maintained.
15. Assists with admissions and transfers.
16. Participates in Discharge Planning.
17. Assists with staff and patient education.
18. Provides direct patient care dependent as unit needs.
19. Attends meetings as assigned.
20. Investigates and initiates solutions to customer concerns as indicated.
21. Assists in development of unit budget and cost containment.
22. Counsels staff in a timely and appropriate manner as needed.
23. Appropriately utilizes staffing resources 24 hours a day to ensure unit standards are met by providing adequate staff mix according to patient acuity.
24. Assists in recruiting, interviewing and selecting staff.
25. Assists in orientation of new staff. Supports preceptors.
26. Recognizes and acknowledges outstanding staff behavior.
27. Assures accurate entry of staff time in payroll system.
28. Assist with evaluations.
29. Develop/assist with development of staff work schedules.
30. Hospital Information System.
31. Specialty Carts-Latex
33. IV/PCA Pumps.
34. Code Carts- Location on Unit, Daily Checks, Knowledge of Contents.
35. Wall Suction/Portable Suction.
36. Pyxis- Supply/Medicine.
37. SCD/TED Hose/Foot Pump.
38. Weights/Baby Scales
39. K-Pad (Heating Pad).
40. Pulse Oximetry.
41. Specialty Beds/Mattress.
42. Incentive Spirometer.
43. Glucose Monitor.
44. Electronic Fetal Monitor.
45. Perinatal medication competency.
46. OB emergencies competency.
47. Electronic fetal monitoring interpretation.
49. High Risk OB course.
50. *Refer to policy on Educational Requirements for Women's East Pavilion.
Erlanger Health System - 21 months ago