Provides direct lactation support for the breastfeeding couplet. Works in collaboration with other health care providers, Lactation Consultants, and staff. Works within the scope of the standards as outlined in the ¿Standards of Practice for IBCLC Lactation Consultants¿ and the Ohio Board of Nursing. Functions as a clinical expert related to care management, education, consultation and research activities.
Formal Education Required:
Experience & Training Required:
- Graduate of an accredited school of professional nursing or a school accepted for candidacy status from an accrediting body.
- Current license to practice nursing in the State of Ohio
- Current certification as a Lactation Consultant by the International Board of Lactation Consultant Examiners. (IBCLC)
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) Certification
- Current Neonatal Resuscitation (NR) Certification
Other Skills, Competencies and Qualifications:
- Two (2) years minimum experience as a Registered Nurse in the field of Maternal/Child nursing
- Available to work variable hours to cover 12 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Ability to utilize alternate feeding methods devices, to perform breast/nipple assessments, oral assessments on infants, and identify proper latch and nutritional intake of infants
- Possess effective communication and interpersonal skills for individual or phone consultations
- Knowledge of computers for reports, documentation and data entry and reporting
- Population Specific Competency: ability to effectively interact with populations of patients/customers with an understanding of their needs for self-respect and dignity
Acute care hospitals plus a network of outpatient and primary care clinics plus a health care plan yields the sum of Summa Health System....