The Radiation Therapy Technologists works with the Medical Director, Physicist, Dosimetrist, and Nurse, in all aspects of providing radiation therapy to oncology patients which includes treatments, quality improvement, quality control, tumor registry, transportation, radiation safety support and other related duties.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Manually calculates and/or verifies monitor units calculations.
- Prepares room and equipment for patient by gathering all necessary equipment and setup devices.
- Uses hand and couch controls, sets appropriate treatment unit parameters.
- Activates the treatment unit and delivers the prescribed dose of radiation.
- Obtains appropriate port films on patients when prescribed; makes adjustments in field placement as needed.
- Maintains visual and/or audible communication with the patient during treatment.
- Monitors, records and communicates patient condition as appropriate utilizing computerized documentation systems.
- Instructs and educates patients and families.
- Develops films, stocks darkroom and maintains processor chemistry.
- Provides age and culturally appropriate care.
- Orients and mentors new staff members.
- Follows Standard Precautions using personal protective equipment as required.
Required Job Qualifications include:
- American Registry of Radiological Technologists (ARRT)
- State licensure as Radiologic Technologist
- Graduate of an accredited program for Radiation Therapy.
- Certified in Basic Cardiac Life Support.
- Radiation Therapy experience preferred, to include clinical experience in therapy and dosimetry.
- Customer service abilities including effective listening skills.
- Critical thinking skills, decisive judgment and the ability to work with minimal supervision in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, bending, reaching, squatting, kneeling, moving, lifting of patients and/or equipment up to 50 pounds.
- Willing to participate in on-call schedule rotation.
HCA Inc - 6 months ago