The Communications and Knowledge Management Division of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) promotes knowledge sharing and learning by individuals, organizations, networks and beyond; integrates valuable IFPRI resources and systems to make them easily discoverable and useful; and works to provide IFPRI’s staff and external users access to IFPRI’s resources, publications, and data.
The Knowledge Management unit within the Division seeks a Receptionist/Communications Associate who will provide direct support in running of the reception desk and the application of approaches, methods and tools designed to strengthen knowledge sharing and learning within the organization. This position is a one-year, fixed-term, non-exempt, renewable appointment, at IFPRI headquarters based in Washington, D.C. Working hours are from 8:00am – 4:30pm .
Duties include but are not limited to -
• Serve as a backup to front desk position.
• Greet IFPRI’s visitors and direct them to appropriate contacts.
• Manage lobby screens.
• Operates IFPRI phone system and transfers calls to the appropriate individuals or divisions.
• Receives and re-directs incoming organizational faxes.
• Provide feedback to management on the functioning of the reception area
• Propose innovations to the front desk.
• Provide general organizational information about IFPRI to visitors and callers and identify particular brochures/reference materials that may be most appropriate for them.
• Provides communications-related support, including but not limited to: typing documents, updating databases, emailing partners, faxing documents, etc.
• Support IFPRI researchers in the creation of online discussion groups and team spaces.
• Assist staff with the use of IFPRI’s various intranet tools.
• Participate in intranet re-architecture and design meetings, which result in informed strategic decisions concerning platform architecture and content management.
• Research and recommend process improvements.
• Other relevant job duties as assigned.
• Bachelors’ degree and/or 1-3 years of communications or receptionist experience or equivalent.
• Excellent business English language skills and clear and effective speaking skills.
• Ability to interact comfortably with visitors of varied cultures and languages.
• Experience with Content Management Systems (CMS) such as WordPress and SharePoint, and experience with Yammer and other collaboration-related technologies.
• Excellent judgment in handling visitors and calls – identifying customer’s needs and determining best solution in an effective and efficient manner.
• Demonstrated experience in task planning and organization and multi-tasking; experience in researching information.
• Demonstrated good time management skills; ability to work under pressure.
• Troubleshooting skills.
• Proven knowledge of current web/intranet technologies, and online communication trends and best practices.
• Demonstrated outgoing, proactive style with excellent interpersonal skills.
• Service-oriented personality.
• Experience working in a research environment.
IFPRI (International Food Policy Research Institute) - 13 months ago