The International AIDS Vaccine Initiative (IAVI) is a nonprofit scientific organization founded in 1996 whose mission is to ensure the development of safe, effective, accessible, preventive HIV vaccines for use throughout the world. IAVI will help advance the development of an AIDS vaccine by: 1) Adding value to the HIV vaccine field by identifying opportunities and gaps in vaccine discovery and development where IAVI’s capabilities can best be leveraged and add the most value, 2) Partnering to advance quality HIV vaccine candidates to the clinic, 3) Ensuring that investments in HIV prevention and AIDS vaccine R&D remain central to the public policy and international health and development agendas by serving as a voice for the field in partnership with stakeholders and donors. IAVI is a young, dynamic and mission-driven organization, and the work environment is fast-paced and intellectually stimulating, relying on the good cheer and high level of collaboration amongst its committed staff members.
Job Title: Receptionist/Facilities Coordinator
Location: New York, NY
The ideal candidate for this position will serve as the initial point of contact for donors, visitors, guests, external contractors and employees, both in person and via the phone at the organization’s corporate headquarters. S/he will be responsible for establishing a warm, welcoming and professional atmosphere while providing correct and timely information. The individual must be dependable and able to multi-task in a dynamic environment. S/he must be able to articulate with confidence and clarity in written and verbal communications. S/he should be motivated to ask questions and take initiative with minimal direction. The individual should be resourceful and proactive, finding and using resources effectively. S/he should be challenged to improve work processes. The individual will set priorities, plan and organize tasks. S/he will be a team player who is dynamic, energetic, has excellent judgment and treats all with respect regardless of position.
- Welcome and greet all on-site visitors, determining nature of business and announcing and directing visitor to appropriate personnel.
- Management of all incoming calls in a timely and professional manner that includes but is not limited to determining purpose of call, fielding queries with correct information, forwarding calls and/or taking and delivering messages accurately and completely.
- Sorting and distribution of all incoming and outgoing mail/packages while advising staff best option to use for outgoing mail, using postal machine, arranging for timely parcel pick-ups, obtaining tracking information and arranging courier services.
- Monitor video surveillance of floor’s regular and freight entries, arranging for building and property passes, registration of all visitors, reserving freight elevators & loading docks, assuring current Certificates of Insurance from subcontractors and vendors are on file with property management.
- Maintenance of common areas; sees to it that all common areas (e.g. reception area, conference rooms, copier room, supplies closet, kitchen including refrigerator, café area, restrooms) are neat in appearance, stocked and fixtures/equipment properly working. Acts as first level intervention for lower level facility issues, generating a “Workspeed” request or discussing issue with cleaning company.
- General administration activities to include faxing, copying, running monthly reports, explaining equipment “how to” to new employee or visitor, ordering and maintaining adequate supply levels and ordering business cards.
- Provides administrative support to Human Resources and other departments as needed.
- Work on special projects as requested and perform other duties as necessary.
IAVI recognizes that each candidate brings a unique set of skills/areas of knowledge. The candidate we are looking for should have a good combination of the following:
Experience and Skills:
- Associate’ s degree or equivalent experience with a minimum 1-2 years of reception or front office administrative support in a corporate environment
- Excellent customer service skills with a demonstrated professional demeanor, appearance, and attitude
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, tact, patience, diplomacy, appropriate assertiveness.
- Detail-oriented, well-organized and able to maintain a high level of professionalism
- Motivated self-starter capable of working independently as well as within a team environment
- Track record of demonstrating sound judgment by taking initiative and making appropriate decisions
- Highly proficient with the Microsoft Office suite and other basic business equipment and processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to stay focused, efficient, and effective when managing multiple priorities.
- Cultural sensitivity and respect for diverse colleagues
- An interest in non-profit operations and facilities a plus
IAVI operates as an intense mission driven organization trying to solve one of the most difficult and important scientific and policy challenges of our time, as a result passion for the mission is a critical attribute.
IAVI is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from diversity candidates
International AIDS Vaccine Initiative - 18 months ago