This position reports directly to the booking supervisor. The receptionist assumes full responsibility for all aspects of the reception area, including security. Receptionist is responsible for admitting visitors into and out of the facility. Receptionist is responsible for interacting with all those who enter the public lobby for service. Employee would maintain security of facility, while maintaining a professional demeanor at all times as initial representative of Sheriff. This job title operates on two 8.5 hour shifts. Days off will rotate with a 5 on, 2 off, 5 on, 3 off rotation.
Essential Functions Include the following:
Document post order review in reception logbook. Search all persons entering facility per current procedural guidelines. Inspects all items entering facility for contraband. Greets anyone who enters facility lobby. Maintain security and order in facility lobby. Maintain proper key accountability. Inspect visitor locker and lobby area. Inventory visitor passes. Maintain and record information in reception log book. Issue visitor passes. Allow inmate visitor access into facility during visitation hours. Monitor and issue volunteer I.D. cards. Notifies booking officer of any bond requests. Notifies bullpen officer and property officer when inmate court clothing arrives.
Sends, receives, and disseminates faxes. Accepting and verification of bond monies when appropriate. Provide information in regards to new arrestee as to inmate visiting hours,bond amount and scheduled court date. Admits attorneys to facility for visits. Admits other police agencies to facility for interviews or other police business. Verifies identity of all inmate visitors and professionals entering the facility. Notifies appropriate housing areas of visits or interviews. Updates inmate visitors list. Documents professional visits. Maintain security of facility lobby and initiates enforcement action, as necessary. Document and maintain accountability of all incoming / outgoing inmate monies and funds. Accept, document and conduct data entry on all incoming inmate money orders, authorized checks, etc. Admit general contractors into the facility and conduct proper tool accountability procedures. Accepts court orders and orders of protection and forwards them to appropriate personnel.
Any other duties as assigned by the Booking Supervisor. Report complaints immediately to booking supervisor or CDM. Training of new staff as needed. Interact with outside agencies and the public by telephone or face to face.
This position requires regular interaction with clients who have a limited understanding of the English language or who may speak only another language. Familiarity with another language other than English is preferred.
ANY OFFER OF EMPLOYMENT IS CONDITIONED ON THE SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A PRE-EMPLOYMENT MEDICAL EXAM, WHICH INCLUDES A DRUG AND ALCOHOL SCREEN
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Knowledge of procedures to perform institutional searches.
Knowledge of rules and regulations of the institution
Ability to effectively use equipment
Ability to read and interpret documents such as posters, policies, procedure manuals, releases, court orders, and ID cards
Ability to write reports and correspondence
Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers and the public both verbally and in writing
Ability to perform simple arithmetic calculations
Ability to count money
Ability to solve problems and deal with a variety of variables in situation where only limited standardization exists
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, or schedule form
Ability to react to emergency situations
Ability to attend to details and exercise sound judgment
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use a two-way radio, telephone, fax machine, calculator, computer, control panel for doors, and keys
To perform the job successfully, an individual must demonstrate the following competencies.
- Analytical –Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions.
- Customer Service - Responds promptly to customer needs; Meets commitments.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; responds well to questions.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
- Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Delegation - Delegates work assignments; Sets expectations and monitors delegated activities.
- Managing People - Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; supports organization's goals and values.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments.
- Initiative - Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent action.
Education and/or Other Requirements -High School Diploma or general education degree (GED). The successful completion of training. Successful completion of a one-year probationary period and be at least 18 years of age
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and toxic or caustic chemicals (blood/body fluids). The employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions; extreme cold and extreme heat. Employees in this position may be exposed to narcotics, firearms and blood pathogens.The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; use hands and arms to reach, push, or pull; climb; talk and hear.
- The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The psychological demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Ability to maintain pleasant working relationships.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks simultaneously.
Reasonable accommodations may be made in order to perform the essential functions. This job description describes a general category of jobs. In order to meet the needs of Lake County Government or its departments,employees may be assigned other duties, in addition to or in lieu of those described above, and any duties are subject to change at any time.
Lake County IL - 16 months ago