Accurate and timely performance of clerical and secretarial duties of moderate complexity requiring diversified clerical skills; generates, maintains, updates and organizes confidential files/records; demonstrates proficient use of PC/client server/network and related software (purchased and proprietary) and various office machines in performance of duties; responds to telephone/fax inquiries of a routine nature; exhibits a working knowledge of agency policies, practices and procedures while relieving agency staff and other clerical personnel of administrative duties; written and verbal proficiency in a second language for designated positions.
1. Prepares and maintains medical charts/records, forms, registration materials, and other related documents.
2. Safeguards confidentiality of the medical charts/records and complies with all local, state, and federal laws pertaining to medical records. Assures compliance with all HIPAA regulations concerning use, retrieval, storage, and sharing of medical records.
3. Reviews/audits medical charts/records for accuracy and completeness.
4. Expedites the filing of all lab reports and loose sheets into the medical charts/records.
5. Participates as a team member with FSS Division staff, attending Department meetings and other pertinent in-services and/or presentations.
6. Performs medical charts/records data entry and retrieval.
7. Assists with telephone calls to Program staff by pulling charts/records for patients/individuals served.
8. Performs general clerical work as assigned such as copying of charts/records for patients who have made request via a release of information, department meeting notes, etc.
9. Retrieves data and ensures information entered matches hard copy.
10. Participates in organization-wide quality improvement initiatives as requested.
11. Assists in production and revision of records related policies and procedures.
12. Adheres to agency Core Values and Customer Service Expectations.
13. Maintains certifications and knowledge base regarding HIPAA, HIV/AIDS, and mental health laws governing medical records.
14. Assists in division or agency wide on an as needed basis.
15. Performs other duties as directed.
Associates degree or equivalent with 2-4 years of experience in medical records and/or medical data entry.
Experience and knowledge of Electronic Medical Records preferred.
Computer literacy required (Windows operating systems – Microsoft Word, Excel). Must be able to type 35 wpm, with 0% errors, accuracy imperative, some knowledge of business machines and general clerical activity desirable. Familiarity with HIPAA, medical records terminology, and electronic medical records is preferred. Must score at least 80% in Microsoft Word and Excel - basic applications.
Good oral and written communication skills.
Accredited Records Technician in Medical Records (Registered Health Information Tech./RHIT) preferred.
Summit Educational Resources - 23 months ago