To plan, organize and coordinate recreation programs, activities and special events. This position requires knowledge of recreation principles and methods as well as supervisory, organization and planning skills.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED :
Employees in this classification work under direct supervision of a Recreation Supervisor, within a framework of standard policies and procedures. Employees in this classification may coordinate the work of program specialists and other part-time recreation staff and volunteers.
Positions in this class serve as first-level supervisors and oversee the daily operations of a program-section. Incumbents assist with the program budget and with the hiring and employee training for temporary staff and volunteers. This class is distinguished from the Recreation Supervisor position in that the latter is responsible for the overall supervision of the program.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
(Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks that may be found in positions of this class.)
Education and Experience:
- Plans, organizes, supervises and coordinates recreation programs.
- Provides exemplary customer service to all individuals; maintaining a positive customer service environment.
- Assists in recruiting, training and coordinating the work of part-time staff and volunteers; responsible for staffing schedules.
- Assists in providing applicable staff training programs to ensure staff are sufficiently trained and program goals are met.
- Participates in the development, implementation and maintenance of program goals and objectives.
- Follows and upholds City of San Luis Obispo Parks and Recreation Department policies and philosophies.
- Designs and implements curriculum and programmatic enhancements for the on-going development of recreation programs.
- Actively participates and engages in local, State and National initiatives and trends affecting recreation programs.
- Assists with the child abuse/neglect reporting process.
- Reviews all program paperwork (injury report forms, week in review forms, timecards, supply requests) and maintains accurate records and files.
- Coordinates program billing, payments and contracts.
- Oversees program events and activities (ensures staff ratios and plans on site events).
- Prepares, updates and maintains reports, correspondence and staff manuals.
- Serves as emergency substitute of program(s) Responds to inquiries and requests for information.
- Represents the department within the City, other agencies, civic groups and the public.
- Assesses equipment and supply needs and approves purchases.
- Coordinates preparation and use of facilities for programs.
- Establishes and maintains relationships with user groups, school staff and administration.
- Assists with budget preparation, tracking and implementation.
- Coordinates marketing and publicity of programs.
- Performs related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
- Ensures childcare programs are in compliance with State of California Community Care Licensing regulations, monitors changes in law, regulations or technology that may affect programs.
- Oversees Counselor in Training program.
- Creates and implements behavior modification plans for children as needed.
Associates degree in recreation or a related field;
and Two years progressively responsible experience in recreational programming; or An equivalent combination of education and experience.
The following additional Education and Experience is required for Recreation Coordinator's assigned to Youth Services:
Twelve college level units in Early Childhood Education, Child Development or Recreation Administration;
at least three college level units in Childcare Administration;
and twelve months of supervisory experience in a licensed childcare program.
- Principles and techniques of organizing and implementing a variety of recreational activities.
- Principles and practices of employee supervision, including work planning, assignment and feedback.
- Safety precautions and procedures required for recreation programs.
- Techniques for effective communication, for providing a high level of customer services and for effectively representing the City.
- Financing of public recreation programs.
- Age-appropriate program development.
- Properly schedule and promote programs, activities and staff.
- Maintain accurate records and prepare related reports.
- Coordinate and monitor the work of others.
- Provide detailed and timely feedback to staff.
- Effectively and tactfully communicate in both oral and written form.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Deliver effective presentations to groups.
- Work in a team atmosphere and participate on a variety of departmental and City-wide committees.
City of San Luis Obispo - 20 months ago