The purpose of this position is to provide opportunities for recreational activities and customer service to patrons of all ages and demographics. This is accomplished by planning, developing, promoting, and implementing recreation programs of a wide scope. It is also accomplished by providing and ensuring a high level of customer service which greets and interacts with customers, registers patrons for programs and memberships, and responds to customer concerns or suggestions. Other duties may include providing various forms of administrative service, scheduling, assisting with special events, contributing to or developing strategies for marketing materials, ability to work in a team environment, and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position provides direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Coordinates recreational activities by planning, developing, implementing and evaluating programs, recruiting and retaining professional service providers, setting up schedules, marketing, securing sponsorships, providing accounting services, including payment of professional service providers, monitoring attendance, answering questions and concerns related to activities, and organizing registrations.
- Provides various forms of customer service by providing a safe and welcoming environment, greeting customers, answering questions, responding to concerns, answering and directing incoming calls, processing memberships and registrations, including inputting information into computer system and by distributing equipment to members and guests.
- Provides various forms of administrative service by monitoring equipment safety, inspecting facility for safety and cleanliness, supervising patrons, providing first aid as needed, assisting in membership and class sales, processing of electronic funds and payments, conducting orientations, scheduling of facility space, maintaining records, providing documentation for budget preparation and monitoring.
- Provides direction to other employees by serving as Manager on Duty as assigned, trains and assists with staff training and contributes to employee performance appraisals as assigned.
Additional functions as it relates to the respective facility:
Recreation Specialist II- Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium
- May oversee year-round Learn to Swim Program. This is accomplished by planning, developing and implementing swim classes for all ages, evaluating swimmer's ability level, patron safety, monitors participants for progress, trains, instructs, and evaluates swim instructors.
- May oversee year-round Lifeguard Operations. This is accomplished by ensuring patron safety, overseeing lifeguard operations, conducting lifeguard training and evaluation, ensures safe pool environment by checking chemical balance, water clarity, pool controllers, etc.
- May develop, plan and implement fitness and wellness components of a wide scope by overseeing fitness rooms, providing fitness assessments and wellness/exercise plans for customers, coordinating wellness seminars, recruiting and scheduling fitness providers, coordinating fitness classes/programs, inspecting fitness equipment for safety, researching equipment needs and purchasing as directed.
- May plan, prepare, and or sell concessions or meals.
Formal Education / Knowledge
Work requires broad knowledge in a general profession or technical field. Knowledge is normally acquired through four years of college resulting in a Bachelor's Degree in Parks and Recreation or related field preferred or equivalent experience in Parks and Recreation or related field in lieu of education.
Related Fields/Experience including but not limited to:
Parks, Recreation and Tourism
Kinesiology, Sports Management or Physical Education
Ice Rink Operations or Management
Golf Operations or Programming
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Driver’s License
First Aid/CPR Certification required within 4 months of employment.
(Applies for positions at the Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium, Joe Farmer Recreation Center, Allen Senior Recreation Center, Allen Community Ice Rink, and The Edge Visitor Center)
Food Handler or Food Manager Certification required within 3 months of employment as applicable to the position.
(Allen Senior Recreation Center, The Edge Visitor Center, Don Rodenbaugh Natatorium, Joe Farmer Recreation Center as assigned)
Intermediate - Ability to read papers, periodicals, journals, manuals, dictionaries, thesauruses, and encyclopedias. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Intermediate - Ability to write reports, prepare business letters, expositions, and summaries with proper format, punctuation, spelling, and grammar, using all parts of speech. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in high school up to college. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives general directions. The employee normally performs the job by following established standard operating procedures and/or policies. The employee may choose the appropriate procedure or policy. Performance is reviewed periodically.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
Work requires functioning as a lead worker performing essentially the same work as those directed, and includes overseeing work quality, training, instructing, and scheduling work.
Work requires analysis and judgment in accomplishing diversified duties. Requires the exercise of independent thinking within the limits of policies, standards, and precedents.
Interpersonal / Human Resource Skills
Discussion Very Frequent: More than 51% of work time.