Monitor and maintain the electrical reliability of the interconnected transmission system. Take action as dictated by system conditions and partner with transmission operators within MISO and neighboring reliability coordinators to resolve reliability issues, congestion management, and seam issues which adversely affect interconnection reliability.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Direct timely and appropriate real-time actions during normal and emergency conditions to maintain electrical reliability of the respective area, including re-configuration, generation re-dispatch, transmission service curtailments, or load shedding to prevent or alleviate limit violations.
- Authorize actions for all balancing area operators, transmission operators, generation operators, and system operators of MISO Reliability Area members.
- Evaluate system reliability, transmission congestion, and coordinate congestion management including generation re-dispatch.
- Implement operating guides and procedures for normal and abnormal conditions.
- Determine appropriate control actions when system reliability is threatened and notify affected members and neighboring reliability coordinators.
- Monitor and use the NERC Hotline, Interchange Distribution Calculator, Reliability Coordinator Information System and other communications systems.
- Direct and coordinate implementation of load shedding and system restoration procedures.
- Assume responsibility for developing, implementing, and completing highly complex projects.
- Act as a project leader and direct the work of others as required.
- Make decisions which may impact the direction and strategy of the department or function.
- Monitor and direct the electrical reliability of the interconnected transmission system.
- Coordinate emergency operations, direct restoration efforts, implement re-configuration, generation re-dispatch and issuing curtailments when limit violations are detected.
- Monitor and determine power system conditions.
- Is responsible for and has the authority to take independent necessary action to ensure stable and reliable operation of the Bulk Electric System.
- Direct actions for reliability purposes over all other MISO operating personnel including, but not limited to, Operations Engineers, Tariff Administrators, Schedulers, and Regional Generation Dispatchers.
- Compliance with Regional Reliability Entity Operating Practices and Standards.
- Compliance with all processes, procedures, and standards applicable to the position including (but not limited to): SSAE16 (Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements No. 16), CIP (Critical Infrastructure Protection), Change Management, Tariff (Open Access Transmission, Energy and Operating Reserve Markets Tariff), FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and NAESB (North American Energy Standards Board).
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering Technology, or related field preferred
- Education equivalency may be established with a combination of education, training, certifications, and extensive directly related experience
- NERC Certification required, or must be able to obtain NERC Certification within six months of employment. Reliability Operator Certification required
- Three years electric utility operations or transmission service environment required.
- OASIS, transmission system operations preferred.
- Demonstrate thorough knowledge of other control room positions and how they interrelate with one another
- NERC standards and regional operating procedures
- Transmission system operations
- Advanced application functions of an Energy Management System
- Principles, practices and administration of technical issues
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Commitment to customer service excellence
- Excellent communication and listening
- Analytical thinking
- tilize company policies appropriately
- Foster teamwork and collaboration
- Apply and adapt practices and techniques to a variety of projects
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with employees and the general public
- Present facts and recommendations effectively in verbal and written form
- erform detailed quantitative analysis
- Integrate both routine and new data from multiple sources
- Work a rotating shift schedule to cover 24x7 operations
- Clearly understand, speak, read, and write utilizing English between and among operating personnel.
MISO is an essential link in the safe, cost-effective delivery of electric power across much of North America. MISO is committed to reliability, the nondiscriminatory operation of the bulk power transmission system, and to working with all stakeholders to create cost-effective and innovative solutions for our changing industry.
- Continuous Learning
- Customer Focus
- Value Focused
- Work Ethic
MISO is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.