Theravance, Inc. is a biopharmaceutical company with a pipeline of internally discovered product candidates and a focus on the discovery, development, and commercialization of new medicines across a number of therapeutic areas. We believe that by applying our expertise in multivalent drug design we can discover medicines that will be superior to many market-leading medicines. Theravance is a place for advanced thinkers, people who thrive on using their minds and working with a world-class scientific team.
Position Description :
We are currently seeking a talented and experienced Research /Senior Scientist to join the Assay Technologies Group within the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology. The Assay Technologies group has responsibility for developing and automating biochemical and cell-based assays and using those assays to profile compounds to help drive lead optimization for all research programs. This individual will work closely with other Assay Technologies group members, as well as our medicinal chemistry and biology teams to develop, optimize, and automate a broad range of biological assays that best address project needs. This individual will play a key role in helping identify and implement new assay technologies and lab automation to achieve efficient workflows. This individual is expected to be both a scientific and technical expert, actively contributing to multiple drug discovery programs that span a wide variety of target classes and therapeutic areas. He/she will also be expected to be an innovator contributing to both technology innovations as well as championing new drug discovery proposals.
Job Requirements: Education & Experience :
This position requires a PhD in a relevant scientific discipline and at least 4-6 years of drug discovery experience in a biotechnology or pharmaceutical setting. The ideal candidate will be an outstanding scientist with a strong track record of success and innovation in multiple drug discovery projects. This individual should have experience with a wide range of assay and automation technologies, strong skills as a biochemist and/or cell biologist, and enjoy working in an interdisciplinary environment. He/she should be an excellent team player, highly flexible and responsive to project needs, and committed to lead by example in the laboratory.
Required Skills :
· Drug discovery experience is required and expertise in multiple therapeutic areas and target classes is strongly preferred.
· Assay development and screening experience applied to different target classes and cell types is required. Experiences with a variety of assay readout technologies (radiometric, colorimetric, luminescence, fluorescence, high-content imaging, and label-free methods etc.) for both biochemical and cell-based assays are required.
· Experience in using and troubleshooting the performance of laboratory automation instrumentation (liquid handlers and plate readers) is strongly preferred.
· The successful candidate will have strong quantitative intuition, excellent experimental design and troubleshooting skills, and excellent data analysis & data mining skills.
· Direct supervisory experience with a track record of mentoring others is preferred.
· Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, project management, and organizational skills are required.
· The successful candidate will be a highly motivated self-starter, enjoy working in a fast-paced dynamic team environment, and be motivated to discover new medicines that make a difference.