Research Associate for Publications works with investigators, collaborators, and research staff to prepare and edit high-quality scientific submissions for publication for primary manuscripts, journal supplements, abstracts, poster presentations, and new media; ensures adequate research and referencing of all written work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Research Associate for Publications is responsible for handling various editorial tasks for Principal Investigators including:
1. Perform comprehensive literature review of assigned topics and provide written summaries.
2. Develop strategy for document preparation, including preparation of templates in compliance with specific publication guidelines
3. Copy-edit all text in assigned projects; ensure that all text elements meet Editing quality standards, double check any necessary facts, and ensure that all edited text goes through necessary reviews.
4. Using AMA style guidelines, assemble content, including key references and analysis of scientific data and other collateral material.
5. Interpret and organize written copy provided by several sources to ensure it flows in a cohesive order.
6. Ensure accuracy and consistency of citations/credentials in all materials. Ensure accuracy and consistency of all medical (specifically cardiovascular) terminology in all materials.
7. Develop a system to track all publication deadlines, review deadlines, and abstract submission deadlines and ensure a timely submission process.
8. Participate in weekly research staff meetings.
9. Protects rights and research data of research volunteers, including medical records, data, etc.
10. Additional duties as assigned.
Education Certifications/Licensure Experience Physical Abilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The ideal candidate would have: advanced scientific/technical reading, writing, and editing skills; advanced scientific analysis skills; ability to analyze complex medical data and communicate their significance; computer operation skills; superb written and oral communication skills. Candidate should have the ability to learn and follow task-specific procedures. Candidate should be attentive to detail and accuracy of information, flexible, and open to suggestions. Candidate should have a general understanding of principles, concepts, practices and standards of clinical trials. Experience working with scholarly publications and conference submissions a plus.
The position also requires the following:
High energy with a focus on meeting deadlines;
Able to prioritize and maintain progress on multiple scientific projects;
Supportive of finding creative solutions to complex scientific and business challenges;
Customer focused in a way that ensures desired outcomes are achieved;
Collegial and highly participative at all levels;
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Position requires advanced degree in health sciences or another scientific discipline. Medical training and experience in cardiology strongly preferred. Related healthcare or administrative experience, or equivalent education and experience will be considered.
Candidate must demonstrate understanding of medical terminology and possess strong research skills. Candidate must be proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Internet Explorer. Experience or training in statistical analysis (SPSS/SAS) preferred. Candidate should have the ability to interpret and organize written information and solve problems relating to conflicting citations, credentials and medical terminology. Candidate must have a strong focus on accuracy, attention to detail and organization and must possess excellent communication and writing skills, patience, professionalism and ability to effectively interact with staff and management alike.
Must have ability to demonstrate initiative and work independently in a dynamic environment as well as to accomplish multiple tasks within an aggressive time frame.
Cedars-Sinai - 6 months ago
Cedars-Sinai is a non-profit hospital and research institution delivering world-class care to patients from around the world.