GfK Automotive offers a full spectrum of research methodologies to its automotive clients and has dedicated teams specializing in product research (automotive product clinics), qualitative and quantitative research. GfK is looking to expand its automotive product research business and is seeking an individual to support its specific efforts to expand its business in the area of qualitative research.
The Senior Research Director, Qualitative Research will be responsible for managing handling all aspects of qualitative research from proposal to end delivery including managing overall client relationships and business development, designing research studies, developing and pricing proposals, overseeing the execution of the research projects, and providing consulting services and analytical insight and recommendations to the end client. The position will require flexibility to travel frequently domestically and internationally for project related work, but also requires commuting to/from the office to client offices and venues in support of projects as needed.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead a growing qualitative team in the Automotive Custom Research Group, one of the premier providers of automotive ad-hoc in the industry
- Successfully manage a team P&L to profit, revenue, and utilization targets
- Expand existing client relationships and develop new clients
- Effectively and efficiently direct junior staff members, freelance moderators, field services and interviewers
- Price out projects, write compelling proposals, moderator guidelines and final reports
- Directly or indirectly manage several projects simultaneously from proposal to presentation
- Moderate focus groups and online boards, conduct expert interviews
- Work collaboratively on car clinics and joint qual/quant projects across teams – requires a working understanding of quantitative and car clinic research
- Expand and evolve the qualitative methodology toolbox
- Work in a dynamic environment, with 40% domestic and international travel, evening and occasional weekend work
- Have intellectual challenges, autonomy and rapid development
- Who you are: a qualitative researcher with a minimum of 5-7 years of qualitative project management experience. Knowing the automotive industry is desirable
- What you should bring: A drive to excel, not be shy of hands on project work as the team is growing, a keen sense of balancing the business as well as the content side
- Fieldwork/Travel = 40%
- Proposal writing, pricing = 30%
- Reporting = 15%
- Administrative = 15%
Experience and Skills:
Education: Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Demonstrated experience and skill set in qualitative research – particularly in the automotive industry including conducting one-on-one structured interviews, in-depth interviews, and focus group moderation
- Experience with and working knowledge of automotive research in general and automotive industry in a variety of contexts and settings
- Experience with a variety of automotive market research studies, methodologies and techniques (required)
- Demonstrated skills in data synthesis, analysis and report writing on a variety of topical issues related to the automotive industry
- Experience in preparing research proposals including proposal pricing and recommended methodology
- Experience with and ability to solicit and coordinate pricing and logistics with outside vendors for research projects
- Experience in working with research/marketing/product-planning related functions at a client or having performed these functions while working at an automotive manufacturer/distributor
We offer a very competitive salary commensurate with your experience.
- 7-10 years of related experience and/or training or equivalent combination of education and experience.