AIR Worldwide (AIR), a member of the Verisk Insurance Solutions group at Verisk Analytics, is the scientific leader and most respected provider of risk modeling software and consulting services. AIR founded the catastrophe modeling industry in 1987 and today models the risk from natural catastrophes and terrorism in 90 countries. AIR offers the opportunity to work with advanced technologies, global clients, and hundreds of the most innovative, talented minds in the industry.
AIR is a leading catastrophe modeling firm providing risk assessment tools to the insurance, reinsurance, and other industries confronted with risk from natural hazards. Our models simulate the occurrence of various perils across the world given current, past, and projected future climate conditions. Thousands of simulated catastrophic events are used to estimate the potential for damage, and to aggregate potential financial losses for portfolios made up of thousands of individual insured properties and other valuable assets.
The main responsibility of this position will be to build off the success of recently developed flood models for the Europe, Southeast Asia and U.S. regions. You’ll work with a diverse team of meteorologists, climate scientists, engineers, software professionals, statisticians, and actuaries to incorporate the latest flood modeling technologies into cutting-edge risk assessment software. Ultimately, your contributions will help provide clients with sophisticated tools and data used to make informed decisions about flood risk.
Providing flood modeling solutions at fine spatial and temporal scales is a complex and challenging task requiring strong knowledge of hydrology/hydraulics, probability and statistics, as well as substantial programming experience and scientific rigor. Your efforts will be rewarded by a competitive salary and excellent benefits, and by the fact that hundreds of risk management professionals will apply the results of your hard work. Your innovative thinking as a researcher and model developer will be highly valued by colleagues and clients, and participation in scientific conferences and publications in peer reviewed journals is strongly encouraged.
Main responsibilities, but not limited to
- Developing and enhancing flood hazard models and relevant source code
- Preparing coupled GCM-NWP model based precipitation simulations
- Formulating and implementing hydrologic modeling in a probabilistic framework
- Implementing hydrologic models over a wide range of spatial scales
- Managing the collection, QA/QC and analysis of meteorological and/or hydrological datasets
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Expertise in stochastic and catchment hydrology. Experience in flood modeling, preferably with knowledge of its application in the insurance/reinsurance industry
- Ability to gather, understand, and critically analyze relevant hydrological and geophysical data
- Working knowledge of probability theory and statistics
- Solid technical programming skills gained through practical experience
- Experience in GIS applications strongly preferred
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to achieve goals and meet deadlines while working on multiple tasks
- Project management experience is a plus
- Highly motivated and self-directed in advancing complex projects forward
- Proficiency with both Windows and Linux operating systems
- Advanced degree in Civil Engineering or related field, preferably specializing in Hydrology and/or Water Resources Engineering
- Associated post-graduate or professional experience
Please apply at http//www.air-worldwide.com/Careers.aspx
All insurance coverage is based upon calculated risk -- but who's doing the calculating? Insurance Services is one source for such...