Since 1974, IFDC has focused on increasing and sustaining food security and agricultural productivity in over 100 developing countries through the development and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
This position serves as the primary liaison between the Library and internal and external research departments, laboratories, and individual scientists within and outside of IFDC. The Librarian is pivotal to defining and expanding the Library's role in supporting scientific, agronomic, economic, and technical & trade research data management. It is anticipated that the library will be transforming and evolving to meet the demands of the modern day to address the needs of a diverse clientele, over a vast geographic landscape. To this end, we require a dynamic professional, astute at building and executing strategy. As such, the candidate must have the ability to assist in securing funding for the library’s transformation and long term development. Key to this goal will be the technological evolution of the Library to formally connect with other research institutions and libraries in a virtual environment to extend the research and data capabilities. The librarian also will develop and provide training in the use of agro-science knowledge management, information and data resources, and promotional strategies. This position will report directly to the Chief Communications Officer.
The position involves operating and maintaining the IFDC library for use by staff and visitors and also involves further development of the library into a technology-driven physical and virtual center for agricultural research and development data, which includes information appropriate to research conducted by scientists, agronomists, economists, technicians and marketers. Tactical duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting researchers to manage their data, navigate IFDC’s available and future data management, curating and preservation landscape, and adhere to federal or other grant funding agencies' data management and public access policies and requirements.
- Furnishing research/reference materials requested by staff (e.g., determining the appropriate reference tool, searching computerized and printed scientific and technical indexes and abstracts, compiling references)
- Updating and maintaining library materials (e.g., ordering books and technical & scientific journal subscriptions, preparing purchase orders, verifying invoices, maintaining databases of current published articles) based upon staff recommendations
This position requires a detailed understanding of library reference tools and the ability to communicate requested information to the requestor as a basic function of the job. However, emphasis is given to the following competencies that support the near-term evolution of the library and the services offered through it:
- Technological Expertise : Experience in exploring and implementing changes from a traditional stand-alone library environment to a more dynamic and technologically integrated virtual source for agriculture-related research data. This includes establishing formal partnerships with other research institutions and universities to data as a virtual network for information sharing.
- Research Support : The ability to generate quick and reliable research results that support specific requests, fielded both internally and externally. This includes the ability to show demonstrable experience working with contracted information providers, free online services, and cross-institutional information partners.
- Marketing/Communications : Experience in forming strategy to promote the library as a preferred source of information, communicating with partners and stakeholders to enhance the brand of the library specifically, and the credibility of IFDC as a whole to provide this information. Open houses and other event experience is a plus.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Library and Information Science required; Master’s Degree preferred.
- Minimum five years’ experience in library management, including: cataloging, research, reference, and computerized bibliographic searching required;
- Experience securing funding for capital improvement projects, understanding the available sources for such funding and the ability to traverse the political landscape therein.
- Customer oriented- a proven ability to work with the agricultural/scientific community in promoting IFDC’s global development mission;
- Evidence of articulate verbal and written communication skills.
IFDC- International Fertilizer Development - 6 months ago
IFDC- International Fertilizer Development
Muscle Shoals, AL
IFDC- International Fertilizer Development
- 30+ days ago