UTHouston "Where Creating the Best Hope for a Healthier Future Begins"
Research Nurse -
In this role, you will coordinate and conduct research projects and related activities. You may also recruit, screen, and enroll potential survey participants.
Sr. Research Nurse -
In this role, you will coordinate, direct and implement the nurse care functions within a research project. You may also provide direction to assure optimal compliance with research protocols.
Additional Summary Specific to Job
Coordinate and conducts research projects and related activities as assigned by a PI, a Program Manager - Research, or a Senior Research Nurse. Recruits, screens, and enrolls potential clinical interventional and observational trial participants. Will be assigned multiple research protocols. Also:
1. Screens and recruits patients on a daily basis from multiple enrolling sites. Collects and enters data on screening and enrollment as necessary for the research project and in accord with research protocols and manual of procedures.
2. Enrolls suitable candidates, ensuring all necessary documentation is collected, properly filed, organized, and processed. Provides basic background and education to participants and families regarding the research project, and potential risks or benefits of participation. Should be well versed with all aspects of the assigned research protocols, specifically the consent, inclusion / exclusion criteria, study procedures, and follow up schedules.
3. Ensures that all necessary investigations / diagnostic tests have been completed on patients being enrolled into clinical trials. Coordinates actively with the treatment team to complete all necessary steps.
4. Maintains budget documents, creates and sends timely service notifications for research activities to appropriate billing departments at UT and to the hospital. Receives and follows up on invoices generated for payment to service providers.
5. Maintain and internal log of all research related financial transactions such that these are readily available for internal report generation as required by the PI or for external audits.
6. Designs case report forms, create drafts of manual of procedures, and helps the PI or other research staff in development of research protocols. Also helps in preparation of budgets for research projects in accordance with departmental and university guidelines.
7. Inputs data and maintains research databases and related records needed for research. Collaborates with data core for data cleaning and data quality processes. Is over all responsible for completeness and quality of data for the protocols he/she is responsible for.
8. Schedules follow-up visits and maintains contact with patients, patients' families, department staff, radiology and laboratory staff, pharmaceutical company representatives, other faculty members and researchers as directed by the PI, Program Manager - Research.
9. Should be well versed with regulatory procedures and requirements for regulatory bodies like FDA and IRB. Is responsible for initial and continued submission of protocols, Pre-INDs, INDs to these agencies. Is also responsible for keeping all protocols updated and follow up timely with all continuing review requirements.
10. Distributes research information to faculty, research staff, principle investigator, and others as requested
11. Supports outreach program, communicates with research staff at other enrolling sites for maintaining a regular flow of information on potential patients for enrolments in clinical trials.
12. May assists that PI and other research staff in preparation of manuscripts and presentations.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Current Registered Nurse licensure
- Graduation from an accredited nursing program
Research Nurse role requires a minimum of 1 year related experience.
Sr. Research Nurse role requires a minimum of 3 years related experience.
Established in 1972 by The University of Texas System Board of Regents, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth)...