Function: Trait Research
State/Province: North Carolina [NC]
Country: United States [US]
Position Title: Research Scientist 2 – Functional Genomics
Job ID: 3052
Knowledge, Skills & Experience: *PhD or equivalent experience in genetics, molecular biology or related field and 5 years professional experience in a genomics related field.
- Develop and apply approaches for generating biological hypotheses and gene candidates using genetic and ‘omics data and analyses.
- Provide technical knowledge to build a balanced program in ‘omics research that includes both internal and external sources.
- Work closely with customers from crop and trait research teams to guide projects through from design to resourcing to completion.
- Create strategies for lead generation and the development of intellectual property using ‘omics data.
- Apply technical rigor in the design and implementation of ‘omics studies.
- Coordinate and allocate resources across multiple projects.
- Keep current with the state-of-the-art in discovering marker trait associations, identification of candidate genes from those associations, understanding of potential mode of action leading to processes for validating those candidates.
- Consult with diverse stakeholders on experimental design, analysis and validation workflows to secure project objectives.
- Through interaction with other science groups (Bioinformatics, Lead Validation, Biostress Traits and Agronomic Traits) build a sustainable pipeline of functional genomics projects with commercial potential.
- Through interaction with functional genomics team members, other scientists and associated teams (such as TSI) develop, scout, evaluate and manage research collaborations with third parties in the area of functional genomics.
- Perform all activities in accordance with the Syngenta Health, Safety, Environmental Policy and Quality Management/Stewardship guidelines.
Critical Success Factors & Key Challenges: *Establishes effective partnerships with experimental biologists and breeders working in candidate gene discovery.
- A familiarity with analyzing and utilizing modern high throughput ‘omics data, including sequence data, expression data, genomic variation and metabolic profiling data technologies - for gene discovery and hypothesis development.
- Excellent knowledge of plant biology, genomics and biotechnology
- Knowledge of marker assisted breeding strategies, association genetics and general crop genetics.
- An understanding of approaches to using model crop plants, tilling and mutant populations and other model systems for candidate gene validation.
- Demonstrated success in leading a complex results-oriented multi-disciplinary research team requiring scientific creativity, innovative thinking, organization and collaborative skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency in communicating, planning and coordinating project activities across diverse functional and administrative boundaries.
- Demonstrated success in working in a range of research environments and across a breadth of projects.
- Exposure to project and portfolio management within a matrixed organization (cross-functional, cross-sites, cross-business) and highly technical environment.
- Experience with literature searches and genetic and genomics data-mining.
- Familiarity with the use of genome browser and sequence analysis tools for candidate gene identification.
- Proficiency in use of standard software (e.g., Excel and PowerPoint)Excellent oral and written communication skills for both scientific and non-scientific audiences.
- Ability to clearly communicate research plans, drivers, and progress to project leaders, research managers and technical partners.
- Ability to successfully cultivate an effective team environment and promote the full engagement of team members across disciplines at all levels.
- Strong interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Ability to influence the way biologists think about the problems they work on.
- Ability to integrate into a highly diverse team comprising multiple disciplines, nationalities, and cultural backgrounds.
- Capability to build a culture of innovation and lead change.
- Capability to collaborate across boundaries.
- Focused on project delivery and management for optimal performance
- Coaches others to excel by giving clear, direct and skillful feedback.
- Provides opportunities for learning, development and growth.
- Drives the production and integration of diverse and complex data for the generation of commercially relevant knowledge.
- Thinks outside the box – finds novel solutions for customers.
- Ensures that project plans are developed with appropriate resources, milestones, measures.
- Successfully builds networks and collaborative relationships with customers, colleagues and stakeholders.
- Shows evidence of continuous improvement and development in a changing work environment.
- Shows flexibility in handling new job assignments and achieving results in a rapidly changing work environment.
- Sets clear, high, achievable standards and goals.
- Checks progress on project objectives, confronts problems directly.
- Thinks through potential impact of decisions and actions on others.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the US.
- Domestic and occasional international travel is required to field site experiments (occasionally for longer than 7 days), project meetings, and discussions with collaborators as well as to attend scientific conferences.
Plagues of locusts, weevils, or any other kind of crop-destroying bugs were no match for Syngenta Crop Protection. The subsidiary of...