SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS
The Research Scientist is expected to assist in a
variety of laboratory procedures in the area of DMPK.
He/she is expected to have an understanding in both the
theoretical and practical aspects of biology,
biochemistry, and chemistry as well as demonstrate
independence on performance of routine tasks. The
scientist is expected to demonstrate aptitude in a wide
range of in vitro biochemical assays, sample processing,
and analytical tools. Another key role of the scientist
is to perform operations which aid in maximizing the
research productivity of the laboratory staff. Day to
day functions include maintaining laboratories, cleaning
glassware, ordering and stocking supplies, as well as
waste disposal. A major component in the scientist’s
performance rating will be based on productivity,
teamwork and cooperation.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following.
Other duties may be assigned.
1. Conduct routine in vitro DMPK assays in an accurate
and efficient manner, including incubations, sample
processing, analysis, calculation of results, and
2. Assist other scientists in performing in vitro DMPK
and bioanalytical assays to support internal and
external projects, and be able to work in a group
3. Prepare solvents, buffers, and stock solutions of
compounds and substrates under the supervision of other
4. Develop and maintain a working knowledge of commonly
used spectroscopic and chromatographic techniques.
5. Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all
experiments and observations. Record all appropriate
data electronically in AMRI’s databases.
6. Submit complete, documented, and legible reports of
testing. Ensure that data is properly filed and
accessible for review in accordance with appropriate
7. Routinely discuss the status of assigned projects and
potential problems with supervisor. Communicate orally
and in writing unexpected occurrences which could
adversely affect established timetables.
8. Maintain the laboratory and laboratory instruments
and equipment in a clean, organized, and orderly manner.
Responsible for washing, cleaning, drying, and putting
away glassware in pre-assigned locations as directed by
the scientific staff.
9. Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner.
Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices. Follow
requirements regarding chemical and biological disposal.
Maintain compliance with all regulations at the federal,
state, and local levels, as well as all appropriate
10. Organize work time so that multiple activities run
concurrently. Use time efficiently to accomplish
immediate task and perform other needed activities.
Manage workload and time to perform multiple projects
effectively, and ensure all necessary paperwork is
completed on a timely basis.
11. Help monitor the latest developments in specific
areas of technical responsibility, and recommend and
implement methods to increase the quality of products
12. Participate in professional development activities
and training of others.
Education and/or Experience
relevant industrial experience
- Bachelor’s Degree with major in science or equivalent
- Exposure to a laboratory environment
- Biohazard/blood-borne pathogen and chemical hazard
software applications and databases
- Computer training in the use of standard office
AMRI - 23 months ago