The Research Scientist II is expected to demonstrate
expertise in both the theoretical and practical aspects
of organic chemistry. Principal responsibility is the
synthesis, purification, identification, process
development, optimization, and scale-up of chemical
intermediates and target compounds. A major component in
the scientist's performance rating will be based on
literature or in-house notebook procedures.
- Synthesize known compounds efficiently using
Maintain familiarity with the Chemical Hygiene Plan.
- Conduct laboratory operations in a safe manner.
Exhibit safety awareness and safe work practices.
disposal. Maintain compliance with all regulations
- Follow responsible actions regarding chemical
at the federal, state, and local levels.
compounds, structures related to the target
- Conduct literature searches for specific target
compound, or to determine specific conditions for
compounds and reactions.
experiments and observations.
- Keep accurate, legible and complete records of all
summaries of experimental findings reliably and
- Submit acceptable written periodic reports. Prepare
making appropriate modifications of known methods or
- Optimize the reaction processes for scale-up by
modification of reaction conditions under minimal
supervision (design of new or alternate reaction
sequences is not a normal expectation, but will
enhance the performance evaluation of the
scientist). The range of reaction types handled
capably by the scientist will be significant.
degree. The scientist will be able to use the full
- Purify synthesized chemicals to an appropriate
range of chromatographic, crystallization and
modern separation and spectroscopic techniques. This
- Analyze and identify compounds using a good range of
will include interpretation of TLC, HPLC,
polarimetry, IR, and NMR spectra of moderate
perform multiple projects effectively, and ensure
- Manage workload and time to enable the incumbent to
all necessary paperwork is completed on a timely
challenging established procedures.
- Find new and better ways of performing job by
quality of products and/or service.
- Recommend and implement methods to increase the
occurrences which could adversely effect established
- Communicate orally and in writing unexpected
assigned programs and potential problems. The latter
- Discuss routinely with supervisor the status of
is especially important in cases where the scientist
may be unfamiliar with the reagents or conditions to
concurrently. Use time efficiently to produce target
- Organize work time so that several reactions are run
compounds and perform other tasks.
knowledge and experience and apply those concepts,
- Display the ability to assimilate previously gained
techniques, etc. to new and related project areas.
to specific projects.
- Volunteer to assist with tasks not directly related
equipment and replenish laboratory supplies as stock
- Practice preventive maintenance on laboratory
depletes to prevent laboratory “down-time”.
training of others.
- Participate in self-development activities and
assigned in the course of business.
- Perform other related duties as may be reasonably
and significant industrial experience
- Bachelors or Masters Degree with major in chemistry
- Chemical Hygiene training
- 2-5 years experience
AMRI - 17 months ago