Assist the spring wheat plant breeder in the development of improved varieties for North Dakota and surrounding areas. This would include organizing and conducting scientific research to increase scientific knowledge and information in the area of wheat genetics and breeding. Assist in planning and conducting experiments. This will include the selection of appropriate procedures or methods to accomplish the tasks. Assist in maintaining/updating the breeding program’s field, greenhouse and laboratory equipment and advising the breeder on needs for such equipment. Duties performed under general guidance and will require coordination with other members of the research project, members of other departments, and the project leaders.
• B.S. degree in plant sciences or related biological science area
• Experience in operating farm machinery and managing field crops
• Ability to transport farm equipment
• Computer literacy in the use of spreadsheet and word processing software
• Demonstrated organizational skills, leadership, and problem solving
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team setting
• Ability to obtain field/greenhouse certified pesticide applicator license
• Valid US driver’s license
• Must be capable of lifting 50+ pounds
• Demonstrated skills in oral and written communication
• Previous experience working with small grains and research plot equipment.
• Previous experience managing plants in the greenhouse and field
• Knowledge of statistics and experimental design
• Supervisory experience
Open Until Filled:
Internal/External Simultaneously: Open to all applicants
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide names, addresses, and phone numbers of three professional references. NOTE : Incomplete files will NOT be considered.
Long days and working overtime during planting and harvesting is required.
Traveling away from Fargo for a few days during harvest and planting is required.
No Smoking Notice:
Veteran’s Preference Notice:
This position is subject to North Dakota Veteran’s Preference requirements.
NDSU Main Campus, Fargo, ND