The Department of Neurosurgery at the University of Illinois is seeking an individual for the position of Research Specialist in Health Sciences. Responsibilities include assisting in development of research studies, evaluating research protocols, conducting approved research studies, and coordinating research activities. Experience in clinical trials and human subjects research is a plus. Qualifications include a Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or related field and at least three year’s experience in research or healthcare.
* Design, develop and deliver research projects (inclusive of bench and clinical trial research)
using new equipment, materials, methodologies and techniques, such as used in stereotactic
and functional stimulator experiments and NOVA technology.
* Evaluate current methods, procedures and new techniques to develop advanced experimental
protocols. Perform literature search and determine relevant literature to apply to protocols.
* Evaluate findings to assess their potential applicability to research and service programs and
when appropriate adapt them for use in the laboratory.
* Collaborate with researchers to develop objectives of research projects. Conduct analysis of
data and compose research findings for grants and publications and present results in oral or
* Develop and conduct experiments to generate data (inclusive of bench, animal and clinical).
Conduct statistical analysis of data and interpret results.
* Present research data and findings in lab meetings and at scientific meetings.
* Write and edit Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), analytical methods, reports and
proposals, and develop and produce various internal and external documents. These
documents will include annual and final study reports required by government and private
* Manage and maintain analytical equipment.
* Plan, assign and review work of staff to ensure that group objectives are met. Hire, train,
develop and manage staff to ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet group objectives.
* Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in biology, chemistry or related field required. MS in science preferred.
Minimum of 3 years experience in research or healthcare arena.
Must possess thorough familiarity with and skilled in basic biological, chemical and physical sciences
or related health sciences and be experienced in common research procedures, practices, and
Ability to exercise discretion and independent judgment involving complex tasks.
For fullest consideration, please apply online by March
The Univesity is an AA/EOE.
Back to Job Board
UIC ranks among the nation's top 50 universities in federal research funding and is Chicago's largest university with 25,000 students,...