Located in Boston, Dana Farber Cancer Institute brings together world-renowned clinicians, innovative researchers, and dedicated professionals as allies in the common mission of conquering cancer, HIV/AIDS and related diseases. Combining extremely talented people with the best technologies in a genuinely positive environment, we provide compassionate and comprehensive care to patients of all ages; we conduct research that advances treatment; we educate tomorrow’s physician/researchers; we reach out to underserved members of our community; and we work with amazing partners, including other Harvard Medical School-affiliated hospitals.
A highly motivated laboratory research technician is being sought to join a research team that studies the complications of cancer chemotherapy and stem cell transplantation, using genomics approaches. This individual will work with a post-doctoral fellow or fellows to perform cutting-edge research with potential impact on patient survival after cancer treatment. The ability to master a variety of cellular and molecular biology techniques is essential for this role, as are good organizational and communication skills, ability to work within a team, flexibility and responsibility.
Specific duties may include:
- Tissue culture of human cancer cells.
- Protein chemical assays including immunoprecipitation and immunoblotting.
- Basic molecular microbiology
- Enzymatic assays.
- Cell proliferation assays following pharmacological treatments.
- Extraction and analysis of DNA and mRNA, including PCR, quantitative PCR, RT-PCR.
- May include animal studies including mouse colony management, breeding and genotyping.
- Data analysis and recording of results electronically and in a lab notebook.
- Protocol and literature searches.
- Evaluations of new assay methods or instrumentation.
- Working closely with a post-doctoral fellow who will serve as direct supervisor and mentor.
- Co-operating with a team of experimental and computational scientists.
- Ordering and stocking of lab supplies and reagents.
- Preparation of reagents and media used in lab experiments.
- Operation and maintenance of standard lab equipment.
- Occasional pick up/delivery of patient samples.
We are looking for an enthusiastic, capable, and competent young scientist, with a BA/BS in biology or a related field, and with laboratory experience in molecular and cellular biology. In addition to technical and scientific knowledge, this individual should have good organizational and interpersonal skills and a working knowledge of computerized data handling.
This is a full time, 40 hour per week position.
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute is an Affirmation Action/Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to diversity and inclusion in our workforce.