Technician position responsible for PV reliability testing in support of test standards and other specific research projects, with special emphasis on materials, components, and miniature PV modules. The position will be in the National Center for Photovoltaics (NCPV).
• Aid in development of comparative UV/temperature/humidity facilitated test. NREL will be facilitating an experiment to quantify the rate of aging (optical transmittance and attachment) so that standardized test conditions may be prescribed. NREL is acting as the “conductor” in addition to participating in a large-scale multi-institutional experiment.
• NREL is actively involved in the development of standards that may be used to assess the performance and durability of materials, components, and PV modules. Recent topics include, electrical resistivity, size-change, cross-linking/cure-state of polymers via enthalpy measurements, and interfacial adhesion. NREL has historically aided the process through discovery experiments aiding the details of technical decisions as well as hosting interlaboratory tests validating the tests.
• Measure the moisture permeation properties of polymeric materials. Experiments include modified off-the-shelf equipment as well as custom sample preparation for examination on laboratory-specific equipment.
Laboratory instrument development and maintenance
• Tool development (mechanical, optical, electrical, plumbing), maintenance, troubleshooting, search and evaluation of equipment to meet research and other requirements. We anticipate that test equipment will be developed as future projects arise.
• Periodic calibration of laboratory equipment.
Required Education and Experience
High School Diploma or equivalent and 2 or more years of experience or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Or, relevant Associate's Degree or certification program of comparable scope or equivalent relevant education/experience.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
Basic knowledge of the job. Moderate understanding of general job aspects, and some understanding of the detailed aspects of the job.
Basic knowledge of research techniques and practices. Basic communication, team and interpersonal skills.
Additional Required Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
• Optical characterization (UV/Vis/IR spectroscopic measurement) and mechanical testing (loadframe)
• Sample creation
• Laboratory work experience
• Experience working with hazardous chemicals
• Aptitude for technical problem solving
• Computer skills for logging and organizing large data sets
• Teamwork and ability to communicate within the team
• The ability to simultaneously organize and execute a large number of small projects
• Experience with accelerated aging studies
• Optical equipment design and measurement
• Analog circuit design and electronics
• More experienced or less experienced candidates will also be considered
• Experience with IEC 61730/61215/61646/62108 or similar qualification test standards
• Experience using a Mocon Permatran, Mocon Oxtran, Atlas Weather-Ometer, environmental chambers (temperature & humidity), polymer extrusion, rheometric characterization, vacuum lamination, and PV current/voltage measurement.
National Renewable Energy Laboratory - 4 months ago