Researcher-Finite Element Modelling
Novelis is the world leader in aluminum rolling, producing an estimated 19 percent of the world's flat-rolled aluminum products. We are the No. 1 rolled products producer in Europe and South America, and the No. 2 producer in both North America and Asia.
Novelis is also the world leader in the recycling of used aluminum beverage cans. Annually, we recycle around 40 billion used beverage cans - enough to circle the earth more than 100 times.
Novelis is globally positioned, operating in 11 countries with approximately 11,600 employees. The company reported revenue of $11.1 billion in its 2013 fiscal year.
We currently have an exciting and challenging opportunity for a modeling specialist based at the Novelis Global Research and Technology Center in Kennesaw, Georgia. With world-class researchers and state-of-the-art facilities, the center plays a leading role in developing and helping to implement innovative technology in close co-operation with Novelis’ worldwide operations.
The FE Modeler will play a key role in multi-disciplinary project teams seeking to develop superior aluminum sheet products for the automotive, beverage and specialty markets. Working closely with metallurgists and product and process engineers they will apply their modeling expertise to a variety of technical challenges related to industrial sheet metal production and the forming of complex manufactured products. By taking advantage of the substantial laboratory testing and characterization facilities and pilot-scale equipment at the center, they will have the ability both to gather critical materials inputs for their models as well as to test their ideas under close to real-world conditions, before scale-up to Novelis plants or customer operations. There will be opportunity to travel, to collaborate with colleagues in Novelis’ plants and regional research and technology centers around the globe, and to directly support customers. The role provides significant potential for technical growth and a real chance to impact the future success of Novelis’ global businesses.
• PhD in mechanical or metallurgical engineering or other relevant discipline, with a focus on the application of finite element modeling to materials research; or a Master’s degree with at least 5 years’ relevant experience.
• Experience in the use of LS-DYNA, Abaqus, ANSYS or other well known commercial FE software, particularly if applied to forming processes in our industry or target markets.
• Experience in some of the following areas would also be beneficial:
-Programming languages, e.g., FORTRAN, C, C++, VB, Python.
-Pre/post processors and CAD.
-Coupled thermo-mechanical analysis, computational fluid dynamics and fluid-structure interaction.
• Applicants are particularly sought who combine strong modeling capabilities with a good grounding in materials, including for example:
-Mechanical behavior of metals, in particular the forming of aluminum;
-Metallurgy of aluminum alloys;
-Use of experiments to validate models and analysis of the data;
-Advanced models for the mechanical behavior of metallic materials and their use in FE simulations.
• Broad science and engineering background and ability to apply knowledge from multiple disciplines to solve problems.
• Capability to thrive in a team environment and to engage and influence others.
• International outlook and willingness to travel regularly to other Novelis or customer locations.
• Good communication skills, both verbal and written, and a strong customer focus.
Research and Development
US-Georgia-1950 Vaughn Road Kennesaw, Georgia 30144
Novelis - 18 months ago
copy to clipboard -