Headquartered in Friedrichshafen, Germany, ZF is a leading worldwide automotive supplier for Driveline and Chassis Technology. The ZF Group is currently represented by approx.. 71,000 employees at over 100 facilities in 27 countries. ZF Services, a business unit of the ZF Group, combines SACHS, LEMFORDER, BOGE and ZF Parts product brands as well as the global offering of the ZF Group in retail, services and customer service. ZF Services aims to strengthen international customer service and to expand the after sales business with new products and services.
ZF Transmissions is looking for a…
Resident Engineer - Quality Liaison (Duncan, SC - Customer Site)
To ensure product quality for internal and external customers. To promote and ensure Quality culture on the shop floor.
• Maintain and improve product quality and ensure proper handling of all nonconforming product.
• Develop and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external customers.
• Perform activities in coordination with other ZFTG departments related to process improvement, evaluation and documentation.
• Train and mentor appropriate employees in measurement/test activities. Assist in ensuring appropriate employees adhere to requirements of QMS.
• Perform product launch quality activities (when applicable) for customer in accordance with APQP/PPAP guidelines.
• Develop, monitor, analyze, and improve KPIs for assigned product line(s).
• Controls containment, disposition, and release of materials in Quality Hold area.
• Utilize basic quality tools along with six sigma and lean manufacturing techniques in the support of continuous improvement, root cause analysis, and corrective/preventive actions.
• Trains, develops, and monitors SPC knowledge on the shop floor. Collects, monitors, and analysis all SPC data for continuous improvement activities and continued process capability.
• Utilize APQP tools and customer specific requirements with new and existing suppliers through the development and launch process as defined by ZF Group and each specific customer.
• Work with Product Development project team to understand the needs of the project and develop all quality aspects (internal and external customer) relative to the specific project.
• Create, implement, document and maintain permanent corrective actions for internal and external 8Ds.
• Initiate, monitor, and review corrective actions involving defective material from customer concerns.
• Effectively respond and communicate in a timely manner with all appropriate customers, both internal and external.
• Conducts periodic process audits on manufacturing processes to determine adequacy and capability and ability to comply with customer specifications, QMS, and TS Requirements.
• Conducts periodic internal audits on QMS to determine adequacy and effectiveness to TS requirements, Group Procedures/Directives, and CSR.
• Provide back-up for other Quality Engineers. Provide back-up for APQP project team members if needed.
• Assess product quality to ensure conformance to customer requirements which includes, but is not limited blue print readings, engineering specifications such as DINs, Lemforder specifications, etc.
• Provide guidance to manufacturing personnel in the proper application of quality systems.
• Serve as a liaison between customers, suppliers, and ZF while maintaining appropriate business conduct (values, demeanor, appropriate dress, etc). This includes internal and external facilities.
• Develop and maintain Internal Process Control Plans and FMEA’s.
• Initiate and complete customer and internal process changes.
• Coordinate, construct, and submit all portions of a PPAP package for internal processes, as well as thoroughly for customer approval
• Develop and manage production measuring, test and inspection systems
• Ensure proper implementation of engineering changes
• Assist with quality department procedure and work instruction development as needed. Participates in departmental meetings to aid in organizational planning, reaching objectives, and reviewing activities, results and policies.
• Work on other duties and special projects as it relates to the position.
• Follow all company and customer policies and procedures.
• Provide support to manufacturing for timely part disposition and processing. Performs or directs the inspection of purchased direct materials or manufactured materials as needed.
• Must support manufacturing’s goal of continuous improvement.
• Understand and support TS 16949, ISO 14000, and customer quality requirements.
• Must show expert knowledge in dimensional measurement tools.
• Must fully understand and interpret prints, including the relationship between raw part, machining and assembly prints to ensure they match.
Essential Skills and Experience:
• Four year technical degree or equivalent experience.
• Technical degree in manufacturing, electrical required
• Strong background in manufacturing
• Excellent written and oral communication (to include presentations).
• Strong organizational and task management skills.
• Prior experience in Quality Engineering.
• Understand and support QMS/EMS and all requirements of TS16949 and ISO 14001.
• Working knowledge of requirements from Core Tools - APQP (Advanced Product Quality Planning), MSA (Measurement System Analysis), SPC (Statistical Process Control), PPAP (Production Part Approval Process), FMEAs, Control Plans, Process Flows, etc.
• Working knowledge of GD&T
• Fluent application of position related software (Microsoft Office)
• Ability to travel – both foreign and domestic.
• Good time management and prioritizing skills
• Capable of making sound decisions in a timely manner.
• Able to work completely independent and translate ZF requirements to Customer Teams
• Strong knowledge of total automotive systems
• Strong communication skills
• Position will be located at Customer OE Manufacturing Sites.
Preferred Skills and experience:
• Metal Machining experience
• Internal Auditor Certification
• Six Sigma training
• Measurement and test experience
• CMM operation and programming
• Certified Quality Engineer
• Customer Relationship building
Are you interested?
To apply, please email your resume and other supporting documents to our Staffing Partner, HTI, at
attention ZF Staffing Specialist. Please include in your subject line the Job Title and Location.