NMC is looking for a Resident Technician in the Pierre, SD area. This job is responsible for performing, with minimal supervision, the full maintenance, diagnosis and service repair at a customer’s site or in a field environment on all lift truck products serviced by NMC. In addition, this job assists in developing and maintaining proper business relationships with customers by creating a trusting relationship thereby promoting customer retention and loyalty. |
1. Inspects, diagnoses, troubleshoots, services and repairs customer machines in a field environment. References and interprets service manuals, diagnostic software and parts books to determine problems/malfunctions and to verify repair specifications and parts needed. Verifies warranty information for parts still under warranty and handles return of core and remanufactured parts. Performs failure analysis on all equipment including engines, electrical systems, hydraulics, transmission, power train, brakes, steering and electronic/computer applications.
2. Schedules and performs regular preventative maintenance work, safety and operational tests on customer machines according to contract guidelines by contacting customers and assessing work load to determine availability.
3. Prepares all required forms and reports, such as work orders, warranty information and SIMS reports, charges out time, documents expenses and purchase orders, ensuring accuracy of detail daily. Orders and returns needed parts via service order via appropriate method.
4. Identifies and recommends additional services to customer ultimately helping to minimize future customer downtime, improve customer perception and overall quality of NMC services and build customer loyalty. [Generates additional service business by calling on potential new customers within region to introduce them to NMC.]
5. Follows all NMC and customer-specific safety policies and procedures, including contamination control and HAZMAT rules and regulations. Uses equipment and materials properly. Attends safety meetings as required. Maintains tools in good working order as per MSHA and OSHA regulations.
6. Participates in all job-related training and applicable development classes to maintain current knowledge base on machines serviced by NMC.
7. Maintains truck condition and cleanliness according to NMC standards. Performs basic maintenance monthly, regular inspections daily, DOT inspections annually and upkeep as needed to service truck. Maintains accurate parts inventory in service truck in compliance with guidelines. Replenishes parts as needed.
8. May perform other duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge of and ability to regularly use: Hand wrenches, grease guns, hammers, impact tools, air tools, torque wrenches, screw drivers, basic measuring tools, overhead hoists, slings and chains, electrical testing equipment, hydraulic test equipment and numerous other specialized testing and adjusting equipment. Most often the employee must furnish the majority of the above tools.
Knowledge of [Caterpillar/Allied/JLG/Mitsubishi] product lines preferred.
Knowledge of methods, materials, tools and techniques used in the repair of lift truck equipment.
Ability to read and understand parts books, service manuals and electrical/hydraulic schematics.
Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose machine issues and completely perform technical task at hand.
Ability to meet and maintain company driving and DOT requirements.
Ability to operate various pieces of equipment to ensure repair results in functioning machine.
Ability to utilize proper bending, lifting, stooping, pushing, pulling, climbing, dismounting and three-points of contact techniques.
Ability to exhibit sound and accurate judgments when making decisions.
Ability to work independently.
Ability to effectively influence actions and opinions of others.
Ability to provide exceptional customer service to ensure high customer satisfaction and to respond to customer needs in a positive, supportive and timely manner to ensure maximum value for work performed.
Ability to write meaningful and legible service reports and work orders.
Ability to react well under pressure and manage difficult or emotional customer situations.
Ability to act with professionalism and diplomacy when communicating with a customer/technician.
Ability to maintain current product knowledge of all [CAT/Allied/JLG/Mitsubishi] and competitive products.
Ability to work overtime as needed.
Ability to travel up to several hours a day to service machines at customer site - overnight stay required approximately 10% of the time.
Ability to demonstrate effective coaching, counseling, and teaching in a learning environment. (Mentor role only)
Skills in effective customer service and verbal, listening and written communication to consult with customers, understand issues and recommend solutions, including the ability to communicate technical information to nontechnical personnel.
Basic PC skills required in Microsoft Word and Outlook.
Skills to successfully work with various CAT software systems required to access service information and diagnose machine problems, including CAT ET, ABS, SIS, and TMI.
Skills in problem solving, organization and effective time management.
Skills in safety rig or hook for lifting and blocking parts, components, or machines and operating floor jacks.
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or equivalent required with 3 years of experience working in a similar role/industry and/or equivalent combination of education and experience required. OR Vocational training/Associate’s Degree in Applied Diesel Technology/Engine/Automotive/etc. preferred and 2 years of experience working in a similar role/industry and/or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
Experience diagnosing and repairing lift trucks.
Experience diagnosing and repairing internal combustion engines (2 & 4 stroke, LP, diesel).
Experience with various types of systems and components (hydraulics, mechanical, pneumatic, power train, electronic, electrical, air and fuel systems, ac/dc electrical theory, etc.) on a large number of different kinds of equipment.
Possess and maintain a valid Class A Commercial driver’s license with air brake experience.
[Air conditioning, MSHA and Rail Safe] certification preferred.
Experience operating a welding torch (electrical/gas) preferred.
NMC is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information or membership in any class protected by applicable local, state or federal law.
NMC, Inc. - 11 months ago