About Rocket Science
Rocket Science Consulting is an outsourced IT Department for small businesses in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Portland & New York City. For organizations from 2 to 250 staff members, we are your full stack agency.
But it’s not what we do that’s important, it’s how we do it. We’ve got a core philosophy that informs everything we do.
About Rocket Science Employees
- Service – Tech Support, reactive to your needs, both onsite and remote
- Engineering – Projects and yearly Maintenance Programs, proactive technical work that prevents downtime and increases the efficiency of your business
- IT Management – Strategy and budgeting, visionary work that let’s you plan ahead
- IT Operations – Underpinning it all, we handle vendor management, asset management, warranty maintenance and all the little things that are really, really boring, and really, really useful.
You can talk about music, the arts, politics, and food. You can fix an exchange server or XSAN when it breaks. You like to do both at the same time.
We like our clients, and we like stuff other than computer related technology. Publishing, architecture, the law, software development, marketing, design. These aren’t something we “support”; this is stuff we’re interested in. To be an RSC employee, you have be someone who likes meeting and getting to know everyone around you. You have to actually LIKE walking into a room filed with people you don’t know and be genuinely interested in what they have to offer YOU, not just what you can offer THEM.
Job Description: Mission Engineer: Service Desk
Job Title: ME: SD
Department: Client Operations
Reports To: Service Desk Manager
Philosophical Umbrella: Service
The Mission Engineer: Service Desk (ME: SD) must rock™. Responsible for day-to-day technical customer service delivery for all Rocket Science clients, the position encompasses fielding calls; working tickets; monitoring all parts of the IT infrastructure for all Rocket clients; performing root cause analysis where appropriate; escalating client management issues; and regularly sharing ideas for client IT improvement with the assigned client team. Ultimately, the ME is responsible for the SERVICE piece of the pie –the tactical day-to-day IT operations and happiness of all clients.
The ME: SD is an IT warrior monk; providing phone and remote support for all Rocket clients. This bastion of customer service must be comfortable troubleshooting all platforms, all handhelds, and all cloud based services. Think: OSX to AD to Exchange 2010 to iPad to Mobile Me to iCal and back again in 7.5 mouse clicks. The ME: SD is a critical member of both the Rocket Science team and the Service Desk team. The ME: SD must eat, sleep, dream teamwork and meditate about collaboration techniques before bed.
Additionally, the ME: SD must be positive and upbeat, and love to work with all kinds of people in situations varying from the hilarious to business critical. A drive to work hard and fast, accompanied by the ability to remain calm under pressure is imperative. A sense of humor is recommended.
The ME: SD delivers daily monitoring, maintenance & support
1. Qualifying and remediating tickets from all clients
2. Helping to create and deliver a regular maintenance program for all clients
3. Escalating early and often
4. Sharing recommendations for client projects to Mission Specialist for team-based wire framing.
The infamous “Other Duties as Assigned”:
1. Provide day to day consulting to staff at clients regarding software and hardware upgrades and interesting services
2. Help deliver all client wide upgrades and projects
Education, Certifications, Licenses, Experience, Skill or Registrations
College Degree recommended, Liberal Arts degree preferred. High level of technical skills and understanding needed. Strong ability to troubleshoot. Ability to effectively and professionally communicate in writing and over the phone. Conversant in non-technical, non-IT related subject matter with a wide variety of people. Strong customer service skills. Flexibility, resilience, and gumption will come in handy.
- Excellent multi-tasker with a proven track record of successful time management
- Ability to manage expectations of CEOs, secretaries and everyone in between.
- Gives good phone.
- Microsoft & Apple certifications are a plus
- Doesn't hate showering
- Hands-on experience working with technologies from Microsoft, Cisco, Juniper, VMware, Sonicwall and other vendors
- Open to being wrong and learning a better way.
- Experience maintaining and troubleshooting Microsoft Active Directory, Open Directory and face jokes
- Able to learn constantly, at least during waking hours.
- Understanding of IP networks and IP addressing
- Knowledge of IMAP, POP, MAPI, SMTP, DNS (and DDNS), DHCP, VLANs and routing
- Knowledge of VoIP a plus
- Good, positive attitude a must.
- Skill with quarterstaff and fists of stone beneficial.
Salary to be determined; depends on experience
- Employee Ownership and REAL input into the direction of the firm
- Benefits include health, dental, vision and life insurance (100% employer-covered, 50% coverage for dependents) commencing after 30 days of continuous employment at Rocket Science
- Unlimited PTO
- Internal & Supplemented Training
- 401K plan
- Beer Fridays
Rocket Science Consulting - 20 months ago