This is a full-time, temporary position in our Distribution Services area. Perform work related to moving and delivery operations, including the moving of furniture and equipment, and the delivery of mail, freight, parcels and supplies stocked at or received by the Materials Management Department. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Assist Route Drivers with:
Assist Central Stores and Receiving areas as necessary.
- Loading and delivery of freight and supplies to University departments.
- Delivery and collection of mail on designated mail delivery routes.
- Loading and transporting furniture and equipment between department locations, to and from the University's Furniture Repair Shop, and to other assigned locations on or off campus, including the surplus furniture pool.
- Moving equipment and furnishings within and between buildings due to office relocations and/or renovations. Moving of materials and equipment for special events, including the hauling of chairs and tables.
- Be responsible for the care and safe operation of material handling equipment, including necessary housekeeping of loading areas of the Dorland Building.
Perform related duties as assigned.
Scheduled work hours are 8:00-4:30 M-F
This position involves heavy lifting, pushing and pulling of loaded carts, and working outside in all types of temperature extremes and weather conditions. The ability to stoop, lift, and twist holding a minimum of 75 lb. dead weight is a necessary element of the position.
Employees are expected to relate cooperatively and courteously with co-workers, customers, representatives from other university departments, and supervisory personnel. Employees must be able to communicate clearly and effectively and must display a professional and positive customer service attitude at all times.
This is a security-sensitive position. Before any offer of employment is made, the University will conduct a pre-employment criminal background investigation, which includes a criminal background check.
Previous moving or delivery experience. Previous work experience using warehouse equipment such as hand trucks, pallet jacks, dollies. Certified forklift operator a plus.
Send letter of application to:
Northern Illinois University
DeKalb, IL 60115
Please note: Current NIU students carrying 6 or more credit hours are not eligible for extra help employment.
Northern Illinois University - 11 months ago