The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) is a state owned organisation. We work worldwide in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development. GIZ International Services (IS) is an integral division of GIZ. We offer the experience, the regional and technical know-how of GIZ in the global market and provide international clients with expertise in terms of economic and result-oriented services. GIZ International Services is in a consortium preparing to tender for the up-coming EC-funded project “EU Technical Assistance Facility for the "Sustainable Energy for All" Initiative (SE4All)” in South, East, Western and Central Africa. Sustainable Energy for All is a global initiative led by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to mobilize action from all sectors of society in support of three interlinked objectives to be achieved by 2030: providing universal access to modern energy services; doubling the global rate of improvement in energy efficiency; and doubling the share of renewable energy in the global energy mix. The overall objective of the project is to support, in the framework of the Sustainable Energy for All initiative, the targeted developing countries in Africa to improve their policy and regulatory framework conditions aiming at providing attractive and enabling conditions for increased public and private investment in energy access, energy supplies, renewable energy as well as energy efficiency. In order to achieve the objects, one of the activities will constitute Initial stocktaking and establishing national energy sector policies (including access, supplies, efficiency and reforms). This activity will assist the partner countries to identify energy access, supply and efficiency strategies and policies - including renewable energy readiness assessments where they are lacking.
The Rural electrification expert (m/f) will cover a range of energy related disciplines and have overall responsibility for delivering the technical assistance packages and being responsible to the project manager. He/she will be in charge of other non-key experts and will be responsible for quality control. Please note that some travel will be required to Brussels and to the partner countries.
- At least a 4 year University degree in rural electrification related discipline
- At least 7 years of development cooperation experience (in areas including policy and planning) in the energy sector
- At least 3 years’ experience in assisting developing countries in national energy sector policy analysis and development (including access, supplies, efficiency and reforms, and capacity building on policy and regulatory framework)
- Knowledge of rural electrification, environmental and transverse issues in developing country context
- Work experience in energy sector reform in developing countries (in particular aiming at renewable energies, rural electrification and energy efficiency) would be an advantage
- Work experience in providing technical assistance / capacity building in energy related policy and regulatory areas and work experience in industrial and technological cooperation and in project demonstration would be an advantage
- Proven communication skills (oral and written)
- Fluency in English, French would be an advantage
4 years starting in fall 2013
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement. To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competences when you apply online. After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers. We welcome job applications from people with disabilities.
If you are interested, please do not hesitate to apply until 31st July 2013.
Annette Gerda Mueller-Roth
++49 - (0)6196 - 79 - 1483
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) - 15 months ago