Altarum Institute is seeking a FT SAS Programmer/Analyst to join the Program Analysis and Evaluation group in our Alexandria, VA office. The Programmer/Analyst will be responsible for acquisition, management, analysis and reporting of health-related data and metadata for administrative claims records and survey data. Work for this position will include part-time on-site support at a strategic government client site in Falls Church, VA.
We are seeking an experienced SAS programmer to process and evaluate data in support of a variety of research projects on important epidemiological, survey and policy topics. Altarum’s research programmers transform raw data into research-ready databases and implement analysis specifications created by content matter experts. Our programmers utilize a variety of software tools (SAS, Stata, SUDAAN, Unix) on both PC and mainframe platforms, and our programming culture values quality, collaboration, and the willingness to constantly learn and improve programming methods.
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit systems research and consulting organization that has been servicing government and private sector clients since 1946. Combining the analytical rigor of a research institution with the business agility of a consulting firm, the Institute is uniquely positioned to deliver practical, systems-based health and healthcare solutions to its clients. Altarum’s nonprofit status ensures that the public interest is always preeminent in our work. Our dedication to social responsibility is evident in all that we do, serving the public good with integrity and enabling others to do the same.
• Analysis of claims data, primarily using SAS queries, to answer questions of interest. The qualified analyst should be experienced with regression, logistic regression, ANOVA, cross-tabulations and analysis of survey data
• Developing complex SAS programs through demonstrated proficiency in SAS 9.2
• Conducting data quality checks and ensuring quality of all data
• Working independently with little supervision and ability to work and communicate effectively in a team environment
• Creating customized, automated reports and presentation-quality data listings, summary tables, and figures
• 1 to 2 days weekly presence at a strategic client site in Falls Church, VA
• MS with 5+ years experience with analysis and SAS programming required. Master’s in Statistics, Epidemiology, Computer Science or other related degree preferred.
• Experience with medical and other military administrative records and databases (such as MDR/M2, DEERS, PDTS, Defense Manpower Data Center, Defense Medical Surveillance System) and a strong understanding of military and medical terminology preferred.
• Manipulating the data using SAS 9.2 (SAS/BASE, SAS/STAT, SAS/Graph, Macros, ODS etc) and creating metrics / reports. SAS Advanced Certification a plus.
• In-depth knowledge and experience with relational databases/concepts and query tools.
• Experience working in an IBM mainframe environment (or capacity/readiness to learn mainframe processing) a strong plus.
• Ability to demonstrate an exceptionally high level of organization and attention to detail.
• Strong understanding of the importance of the quality assurance process.
• Experience designing and constructing databases for research analysis.
• Experience working within a multi-disciplinary team including researchers, research analysts, systems analysts, and programmers.
• Strong organizational and communication skills and the ability to work with others, frequently across multiple office locations.
• Knowledgeable of International Classification of Disease 9th edition coding and Department of Defense Instruction accession coding.
• Must be able to obtain a low level DoD clearance (sole US citizen).
Altarum's dynamic work environment emphasizes integrity, personal commitment, and teamwork. In addition to the meaningful and challenging work, Altarum offers an outstanding benefits program that includes paid time off, tuition reimbursement, 401k (5% employer contribution), a flexible work environment, and much more. We invite you to explore exciting and rewarding career opportunities with us.
Altarum is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V.
Altarum Institute - 8 months ago
Altarum Institute is a nonprofit health systems research and consulting organization. Altarum integrates independent research and...