Sr. Applications Analyst focuses on work assignments for implementing and supporting computer application systems. Performs as a scientific analyst to determine requirements and user needs for developing solutions. Designs or customizes software for optimizing operational efficiency and improving scientific processes, working individually or as part of a team on projects with varying degrees of complexity (small to large). Supports all users of application systems, timely implementation of and ongoing maintenance of applications, and provides the opportunity for enhanced user productivity.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Perform data analysis using existing software solutions, including statistical analysis of large genomic datasets
2. Develop ad-hoc bioinformatics solutions, including writing of script/code needed for data manipulation, extracting data from public databases and design and implementation of graphic displays for visualizing genomic scale data, including design of web displays
3. Collaborate with web and bioinformatics teams to solicit/exchange technical information and help to facilitate/ensure the development, maintenance and improvement of required custom software and database systems
4. Initiate and contribute to problem-solving discussions with lab members to generate novel ideas to move research goals forward
5. Quickly adapt to new tasks and excited by the possibilities to develop and extend software tools and methodologies for the lab to use in existing/future work
6. Debug, program and test computer systems and applications.
7. Support and install software applications.
8. Demonstrate effective use of time management skills and management reporting skills.
9. Demonstrates good assessment in professional decision-making.
10. Interact and communicate (oral and written) effectively with customers, team members
1. and management.
11. May have some involvement in the budget process.
12. Demonstrates and supports the Methodist vision, mission and value statements.
13. Demonstrates and supports the Methodist customer service standards.
14. Adheres to system, division and department policies, procedures, guidelines and
15. Participates in coordination activities for implementation of new or customized software through system testing, integration, deployment to production, and application support.
16. Provides technical guidance on phases of projects.
17. The primary responsibility will be working with the Research Institute.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or similar field is required. Advanced degree (M.S. and/or Ph.D.) in Computational Biology and/or Computer Science and/or Statistics/Mathematics preferred, or equivalent combination of experience and education.
6+ years of progressive experience in programming, analysis, and/or implementation; 2+ years experience in next-generation sequence analysis; advanced project management skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Advanced analytical and logic skills.
2. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
3. Has knowledge of commonly used programming concepts, practices and procedures within the Information Technology field.
4. Demonstrate ability to resolve problems of varying degrees of complexity using strong analytical and logic skills.
5. Demonstrate advanced proficiency in supported computer systems and business
6. Must demonstrate strong project management skills, such as creating and managing project plans, cost benefit analysis and risk management.
7. Must demonstrate ability to lead multiple projects of varying degrees of complexity.
8. Must demonstrate ability to provide guidance to junior staff.
9. Must demonstrate ability to lead communication between business stakeholders,
2. technical resources and third parties for business requirements and technical solutions.
10. Demonstrate ability to identify and communicate effectively business process
3. improvement opportunities.
11. Advanced experience and practical application with multiple programming languages (i.e. R, PERL, MatLab, VB Script, Visual Basic, Java) and report writers (i.e. SAS, Crystal Reports).
12. Advanced client server/Browser-based skills (i.e. SQL & Oracle).
13. Advanced scripting and/or configuration skills.
14. Advanced experience with operating systems.
15. Demonstrates ability to define scope and objectives for development or modifications to complex application systems.
16. Knowledge of research initiatives and research related activities.
17. Must possess excellent communication skills, including the ability to understand and convey complex information to group members with diverse technical abilities/knowledge
Review attached activity checklist.
Normal office environment. Must be flexible and able to work any hours as requested with some overtime. Must report to work in proper attire with TMH Photo ID. Must provide own transportation, may be required to travel between hospital campuses and offsite.
Methodist Hospital System - 15 months ago