Includes all Assistant County Attorneys; Entry Level minimum qualifications; and three (3) years experience or equivalent in civil/criminal prosecution as required by duties of position sought.
a.) Juvenile Unit- Experience in Juvenile Justice and Criminal Law Preferred. Duties include covering disposition hearings, modifications hearings, pretrial, trials and review hearings. Additional duties include screening of potential cases, writing appeals, community outreach concerning juvenile issues and community service.
- Demonstrates a proficiency in handling cases and client matters which are complex and/or high visibility.
- Maintains working relationships with Commissioners Court, Judges, agency representatives, elected officials and department heads of the County and County Hospital District and appointed members of County Boards.
- Performs all aspects of client representation as necessary, including: legal research, drafting and negotiation of documents, interviewing clients, preparation for court or meetings and handling appellate matters.
- Represents the County Attorney before the public and with the media in his absence or as requested.
- Contributes to a positive work environment.
- Performs other job-related duties, within reason and capabilities, as directed.
- Addendums for specific area of law:
b.) Community Prosecutor – specialized position which is responsible for developing alternative methods of dealing with crime and community issues. Position requires considerable amount of public speaking and public presentations; Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
c.) Child Protective Services – experience in Family Law and Child Protection Law
d.) Criminal and DTPA – Experience in criminal law preferred; English/Spanish bilingual preferred. This attorney prosecutes misdemeanors in various county courts.
e.) Family Violence Unit, Elder Protection Unit Unit, and Bond Forfeiture Unit - experience in civil litigation preferred; Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
f.) Mental Health Unit – experience in mental health law preferred; requires considerable amount of public speaking and public presentations; Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
g.) UMC Legal Unit- represents the hospital district in all matters concerning the legal operation of a large county hospital entity. (Contracts, opinions, employment, construction, and HMOs.)
h.) General Counsel – represents all department heads and elected officials; handles contracts, opinions, public information requests, and the legal work for the general business operations of the County.
i.) Environmental Unit - The Environmental Prosecutor handles environmental enforcement for the County; Spanish/English bilingual preferred.
j.) Civil Litigation Unit-Experience in civil litigation required; must demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills; knowledge and experience in labor and employment, torts, contract and constitutional legal issues preferred; Spanish/English bilingual preferred
Provides legal representation to the State and County; possesses advanced litigation and/or prosecutorial skills; responsible for determining case merit; ascertaining facts; developing case plan; reviewing evidence and supporting documentation necessary for prosecution before a tier, or reviewing body, of fact or law.
County of El Paso, TX - 13 months ago