JOB ID 64808 - SPECIAL EDUCATION (LEAP)
In accordance with the needs of the ages of the population served by KKI, this staff member teaches students with multiple disabilities, but primarily those diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorders, in a full day classroom setting. The special educator implements the program as outlined in the IEP of each student, adapting instruction to the differing disabilities, medical needs, developmental levels, and learning styles of the students.
1. Provide instruction to students by implementing goals and objectives for individual students as stated in the IEP.
2. In cooperation with the ACT office and the Local School System, develop, modify and implement IEPs for students at least annually and update the IEP at least quarterly and/or as needed as prescribed at the Annual Team Meeting.
3. Contribute to the development of behavior protocols for individual students and implement appropriate general classroom behavior management for students.
4. Create and use appropriate instructional materials using effective strategies and best practices for academic and behavioral success of students.
5. Prepare quarterly progress reports and present on student progress at annual team meetings and reviews.
6. Maintain positive communication in a professional demeanor with parents/guardians, agency representatives, administration and colleagues regarding student progress and concerns as needed. Maintain documentation of all contacts.
7. Participate in and contribute to in-service training.
8. Provide feedback to administrators in a timely manner, particularly when related to concerns about students.
9. Provide the daily structure, supervision, and management of classroom staff including teaching assistant and program aides.
10. Assist with supporting the school mission and goals in a positive and professional manner with a student centered school culture and climate as designed by the administration as specified in school and KKI policies and procedures.
1 –2 years of classroom experience with children with disabilities preferred.
Special Education Teacher I requires Bachelors Degree in Special Education or appropriate content area.
Eligibility for MSDE Special Education Certificate in Infant-Grade 3, Grades 1-8, or 6-Adult, based on the teacher’s assignment, required. If a teacher holds a Maryland Conditional Certificate in Special Education, the teacher must complete all requirements posed on the MSDE evaluation for a Professional Special Education Certificate.
Kennedy Krieger Institute - 12 months ago