The Inpatient Coder position level exists to provide accurate and timely clinical data for billing and optimal reimbursement, quality assessment, external comparative databases, physician profiling, and administrative purposes. The position is responsible for, but not limited to, coding and abstracting all inpatient discharges regardless of complexity, length of stay, patient service line, or chart medium (electronic or paper based medical records). This could also include the interim coding of inpatient records. QUALIFICATIONS/KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS/ABILITIES
- Must be RHIA RHIT, or CCS certified currently or obtain certification within nine (9) months of hire date. Extensive acute care and inpatient coding experience in a tertiary care hospital preferred.
- Requires knowledge of ICD-9 coding and DRG grouper assignments.
- Requires a high level of interpersonal and communication skills.
- Requires continuous educational development and interaction with the Clinical Documentation Improvement Program.
- Requires effective written and verbal communication skills to communicate with physicians.
- Requires high level of concentration.
- Requires the ability to function effectively in a high-volume environment.
- Requires the ability to set and adjust priorities to meet departmental goals.
Ball Memorial Hospital - 20 months ago