Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation is a multi-specialty physician group focused on tertiary and quaternary services. Our goal is to support the private practices of community-based physicians by offering deep expertise in specialty services not typically provided locally.
With more than 200 physician members, SPMF provides medical services at over 40 outreach clinics throughout Northern California and Nevada. We are headquartered in San Francisco and Santa Rosa and are affiliated with California Pacific Medical Center (CPMC).
CPMC was recently named one of the top 50 hospitals in the U.S. by the Leapfrog Group, a nonprofit organization that measures hospital quality and safety. California Pacific is home to the Bay Area's thought leaders in specialty medical care. Our relationship with this outstanding medical center allows us to extend the practices of primary and secondary care physicians by offering expertise for complex cases, leading-edge technology and the highest standards for patient care.
Under direct supervision by the Practice Administrative Manager, this position provides administrative support for patients, physicians and RN in the Cardiology practice in San Francisco. The Patient Service Representative (PSR) is the initial point of contact for external physicians and the public at large. The incumbent must possess exceptional public relations/customer service skills and be able to communicate with patients and physicians in an effective manner. Primary responsibilities are to identify the needs of the caller and execute a plan to meet the needs for registration, scheduling, billing/claims inquiries, My Health Online support, and general questions. In addition to being able to assist in resolving issues and improving quality of care, to ensure necessary authorizations are obtained prior to patient visits, to check-in and check-out patients, to post payments in real time, to update patient demographics, and to troubleshoot any billing problems that may arise.
JOB PERFORMANCE STANDARDS: (Principal Accountabilities)
Demonstrated ability to remain professional, even when working through difficult situations, support the vision of the Cardiology Practice and the Core Values of the SPMF.
1. Answers phones professionally and warmly to assist all callers with their healthcare objectives.
2. Receives patients at the care center. Tasks include providing information about clinical services, insurance and payment policies; patient registration; processing new patient paperwork; collecting fees; and following up with patients for payment/insurance information when necessary.
3. Attends to physician and practitioner needs to support patient care and practice development.
4. Schedules and confirms appointments. Monitors schedule frequently for capacity.
5. Attends to billing corrections in a timely fashion through the CSR form. Asks for assistance as needed to expedite patient concerns as quickly as possible.
6. Distributes labs and scans records into patient chart on a daily basis.
7. Helps maintain office supplies, equipment and general office systems.
1. Effectively utilizes IDX (patient database), Epic (electronic health record) Microsoft Outlook and MS Office Suite.
2. Takes a proactive view of daily and weekly clinician schedules, fills openings via the waiting lists and through requesting patient names from practitioners. Works diligently to keep practitioners’ schedules full.
3. Keeps patient demographic and insurance information up-to-date in IDX.
1. Provides friendly, knowledgeable and responsive internal and external customer service. Sets appropriate expectations for patients and staff alike.
2. Reminds patients of their appointments 72 hours in advance and on a daily basis.
3. Checks voicemail throughout the day and returns patient calls within 24 hours. Distributes messages as necessary and requests assistance from PSR team as needed.
4. Utilizes IDX and Epic to communicate about appointment details. Keeps other administrative team members well-informed of any patient(s) or physician(s) needs, schedule changes, etc.
5. Refers patients to Clinical Nurse Specialist when appropriate.
6. Keeps Manager informed in a timely manner of customer compliments, complaints, or problems with clinical services.
8. Refers patients with billing problems or complaints to SPS and/or Business Operations Analyst.
1. Maintains current knowledge of all physicians and services of the Cardiology Practice.
2. Maintains charting compliance with current JCAHO standards.
3. Consistently extends a professional, warm environment by using a pleasant tone of voice and maintaining composure at all times.
4. Attends staff meetings and other gatherings, as required.
5. Holds self and peers accountable to uphold the Standards of Behavior/Performance Excellence regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, religious affiliation, disability, socioeconomic background, education, sexual orientation, marital status, gender, age or position.
Adheres to all Medical Center policies and procedures (i.e. Administrative and Human Resources), practices safe work habits, and engages in good business standards and practices.
III. Other Job Functions:
Complies with all HIPAA regulations and SPMF standards of client confidentiality.
Accepts and performs other job related duties, projects and responsibilities, as required.
High School diploma or equivalent required.
Minimum of two years customer service experience, preferably within a health care environment. Experience working with patients and physicians, using IDX and Epic preferred. Experience with busy phone lines also strongly preferred.
Mandarin speaking preferred. Requires exceptional communication and customer service skills, strong organizational skills, ability to prioritize and manage a great number of details and multi-task with strong follow through are mandatory. Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and actively, participate as part of an administrative team also mandatory. Computer proficiency with MS Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as an ability to learn new programs with ease. Must have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, volunteers and the general public. Must possess excellent interpersonal skills and be comfortable with people in all stages of health and healing. Must adhere to HIPAA regulations and maintain clinic, physician, RN and patient confidentially.
California-San Francisco-San Francisco
California-San Francisco-San Francisco
Sutter Pacific Medical Foundation
Internal Candidate Applications Accepted
Days of the Week Scheduled
Hours Per 2wk Pay Period
Sutter Health - 17 months ago
Whether you drink too much in Wine Country, hit some rough waters off the Marin Headlands, or trip during a hike through the redwood...