Partners Psychiatry and Mental Health (PPMH), a Division of Partners HealthCare, has an opening for a Statistical Programmer Analyst in the Health Services Research Division (HSRD). The HSRD, which is based at McLean Hospital, conducts health services research that examines how to measure and improve the quality and efficiency of behavioral healthcare within Partners HealthCare and other healthcare systems. Reporting to the HSRD Chief, this position will support statistical programming and analysis needs within the Division.
The Statistical Programmer Analyst works closely with health services research investigators (e.g., psychiatrists, statisticians, economists) and other research staff to implement statistical analyses of clinical research data. Types of datasets will include small clinical research studies, small and large survey datasets, and large insurance administrative claims datasets (e.g., over 1 million enrollees and multiple files—enrollment, claims, pharmacy, charges/payment).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work closely with the HSRD Chief, other investigators and staff to implement statistical programs/data analysis.
- Develop statistical programs using SAS, SAS/MACRO, SAS/GRAPH, SAS/FSP, Stata, MPLUS and the statistical software R.
- Conduct data analysis of multiple types of data files. Some data stem from population based household surveys (for example, U.S. Census data and Area Resource File.) Other data include health care claims from private and public insurance plans (i.e. Medicare and/or Medicaid).
- Develop high quality data sets to estimate economic models and hypothesis testing.
- Interoperate research protocols and creates programs and algorithms in consultation with the Director/study staff. Ex: Working with a concept such as an episode of a given medical issue, bipolar disorder, involves the creation of multiple variables (time, diagnosis, and procedure) and algorithms. Similarly, in survey data, creates variables to measure employment status and hours worked involves defining the population in the labor force, defining the appropriate time frame (in the last week, or in the past year) and recoding data to create comparable measures over time.
- Document the datasets by labeling the variables, and with detailed documentation of programs creating variables as they become ready for analysis.
- Prioritize tasks related to own responsibilities to meet goals and deadlines of the team
Successful candidate must possess basic computer skills in order to use a variety of electronic systems to access and/or maintain personal employment-related data, satisfy required annual trainings, and use job-specific applications. All employees of McLean Hospital are assigned an email account for business communication purposes. Candidate must also be able to consistently demonstrate McLean Values of integrity, compassion and respect, diversity and teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
- Bachelor’s Degree in math, computer science, or related field. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Expertise in statistical programs (SAS, SAS/MACRO, SAS/GRAPH, SAS/FSP, Stata, MPLUS and the statistical software R.
- At least 5 years experience in implementing statistical models using the above software programs.
- At least 3 years experience in data analysis of health care claims datasets and population based household surveys.
- Knowledge of clinical trial/clinical research management systems preferred but not required.
Conditions of Employment
Employment at McLean Hospital is contingent upon a successful CORI (Criminal Background Check), National Background Check and clearance from the Occupational Health Department.
McLean Hospital is pleased to offer a full spectrum of benefits for all staff regularly scheduled to work 16 hours or more per week (benefits are pro-rated for part time staff).
Health/Welfare: McLean offers two medical plans (provided by Blue Cross/Blue Shield and Harvard Pilgrim), Prescription Drug Coverage and two levels of dental coverage.
Time Off: McLean offers a comprehensive time off plan including vacation allowance of 2-4 weeks depending on position, generous sick (TOWP) time and 12 paid holidays per year.
Welfare: McLean offers Long term disability, fully paid life insurance, Business Travel Accident Insurance, and Long Term Care Insurance.
Retirement: McLean offers two ways to save for retirement: the Massachusetts General Hospital Cash Balance Retirement Plan, a 401(a) employer funded plan and 403(b) retirement plans.
Other: McLean has many other perks and benefits including tuition reimbursement, discounts at local gyms, an Employee Activities committee that offers discounted tickets.
It is the policy of McLean Hospital to affirmatively provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment and existing employees without regard to their race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation. All aspects of employment including recruitment, selection, hiring, training, transfer, promotion, termination, compensation and benefits conform to this policy in order to further the principles of equal employment opportunity and the spirit of affirmative action.
McLean Hospital - 17 months ago
The researchers and teachers at McLean Hospital are into heady topics. McLean Hospital, a major teaching facility of Harvard Medical...