This position is located in the Legal Division, Litigation & Resolutions Branch, Professional Liability & Financial Crimes Section, Professional Liability Unit, of the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation. This position serves as first line supervisor managing and supervising a team of attorneys, paralegal specialists, law clerks and support staff and is responsible for the planning and execution of legal and administrative matters relating to the investigation and litigation of professional liability claims.
The candidate selected will be offered a temporary assignment not-to-exceed two years which may be extended to a maximum of four years based on workload requirements and organizational staffing authorizations. Eligible candidates who are selected will be given temporary promotions. A temporary promotion may be terminated early or extended based on management's needs; it cannot exceed 5 years nor can it be made permanent. If the duration of the temporary promotion is one year or less, the employee will be returned to a position that is comparable to his/her permanent position (i.e., same series, grade, and duty location) in the same or successor division/office. If, however, the temporary promotion is to a position in a different division or office from the employee's permanent organization, and exceeds one year (including extensions beyond one year of initial temporary promotion appointments of one year or less), the employee will not be returned to his/her permanent position of record, but will be placed in a comparable permanent position (at the same grade, pay and duty station) in the organization where the temporary assignment is located. Since an extension of a temporary promotion beyond one (1) year will directly impact the employee's return rights to his/her permanent organization in such instances, the employee must concur in advance if the temporary promotion is extended beyond one (1) year.
At the end of the temporary promotion, the employee's basic pay will be set at the rate received prior to being temporarily promoted, regardless of length of the temporary promotion. Pay rate shall be increased to reflect pay increases (if any) received while temporarily promoted, as long as the resulting rate does not exceed the new range maximum.
This position requires frequent overnight travel.
- Supervises a team of attorneys who provide advise on, investigates, recommends, and pursues professional liability claims; including managing outside counsel retained to assist in investigations and/or litigations against professionals or their insurers.
- Provides counseling and legal advice to investigators and other DRR personnel in developing sufficient facts to determine whether there is a basis for a suit against the former officers, directors, attorneys, accountants, etc. or other professionals, their insurers or bonding company of a closed insured financial institution.
- Researches and analyzes facts and law, e.g., develops factual records from documents, exhibits declarations, testimony, and other material; identifies legal issues and distinguishes their relative importance; collects relevant constitutional, statutory, regulatory, judicial precedents, legislative history, Division policies, and other appropriate materials; and interprets the same.
- Supervises attorneys and their outside counsel to develop strategic and tactical plans for litigation, developing plans to ensure factual record is complete and all legal authorities are researched thoroughly, identifying and preparing witnesses, utilizing appropriate automated litigation support tools, utilizing motion practice, avoiding substantial pre-trial delays, and maintaining initiative and momentum, utilizing discovery effectively.
- Supports EEO and diversity principles by promoting a work environment free of discrimination and harassment; taking action to achieve diversity throughout the organization; and supporting activities related to corporate affirmative action employment plans.
Applicants must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the grade 13 level in the Federal service. Specialized experience is experience planning, negotiating and recommending legal matters related to the liability of bank officials and other professionals, their insurers, and the bonding company of closed insured financial institutions.
There is no substitution of education for the experience for this position.
Applicants eligible for CTAP (Career Transition Assistance Program) or ICTAP (Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program) must achieve a score of 85 or higher in the online assessment to be determined "well qualified" for this position. For more information, click here .
Applicants must have met the qualification requirements (including selective placement factors - if any) for this position by the closing date OR within 30 calendar days of the closing date to be eligible for this position.
Bar membership required.
Completion of Confidential Financial Disclosure may be required.
Moderate Risk Position - Minimum Background Investigation (MBI) required.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Your resume will be reviewed, including the online assessment questionnaire, to assess your ability to perform this job. Top ranked candidates will be referred to the selecting official for further review and consideration. Candidates who are eligible for veterans' preference will receive consideration. If you rated yourself higher than what is supported by your resume, your overall qualifications assessment may be adversely affected.
The assessment questionnaire is designed to measure your ability in the following competencies/knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSAs):
1. Knowledge of management practices, including the policies, principles and guidelines relative to EEO, diversity, management development, and labor/management relations.
2. Ability to manage and supervise a group of professionals and support staff.
3. Ability to adapt legal operations to developing areas in statutory and decisional law and to educate attorneys and paralegals about administrative and legal issues of particular application or concern to FDIC.
4. Ability to prepare and present statements of facts, law and argument, clearly, and logically in writing and orally.
You do not need to respond separately to these KSAs. Your answers to the online questionnaire and resume will serve as responses to the KSAs.
To preview questions please click here .
In addition to the regular benefits offered by Federal agencies, the FDIC offers additional benefits to its employees. These benefits, some at minimal cost, are some of the best and most competitive in both the private and public sectors.
To find out more, click here .
Relocation benefits may be provided in accordance with FDIC's General Travel Regulations.
Additional selections may be made from this vacancy announcement to fill identical vacancies that occur subsequent to this announcement.
If selected, you may be required to serve a trial period.
If selected, you may be required to serve a supervisory/managerial probationary period.
usajobs.gov - 21 months ago
copy to clipboard -