The National Guard is the oldest component of the Armed Forces of the United States and one of the nation's longest-enduring institutions. Since the earliest American colonial days, citizens have joined together for collective defense. We have a proud tradition of coming to the aid of our friends and neighbors in times of serious emergencies. Join our National Guard team and serve your nation, your States and your community!
Nebraska National Guard
THIS POSITION CLOSES AT 11:59 PM EASTERN STANDARD TIME.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED: This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the National Guard. Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform. Acceptance of an excepted position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment. Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
NOTE: A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE IS A REQUIREMENT FOR THIS POSITION, MUST BE ABLE TO OBTAIN AND MAINTAIN A TOP SECRET CLEARANCE WITHIN ONE YEAR OF APPOINTMENT. MUST CURRENTLY HOLD OR BE ABLE TO OBTAIN DOD 8570 CERTIFICATION WITHIN 6 MONTHS OF APPOINTMENT.
This position is located in the Regional Operations Security Center (ROSC), and serves as the Superintendent and senior Information Technology (IT) specialist for a Wide Area Network (WAN). Responsible for analyzing customer requirements and managing the systems administration optimization, operational requirements for 15 bases in an 8 state region. Performs a full range of supervisory functions providing administrative control and technical direction and oversight for subordinate personnel within the ROSC.
CONCURRENT ACTIVE GUARD RESERVE ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: AGR-AF-13-011
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION OF POSITION: 155 CF, Lincoln, NE
APPOINTMENT FACTORS: This is a Permanent Dual Status (Excepted Service) Enlisted position only.
Open Area of Consideration: 1
DEFINITION OF AREA(S) OF CONSIDERATION:
Area 1 - Current permanent and indefinite Technicians of the Nebraska Air National Guard 155 CF Only
Referral of Applicants: Qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official in the following order:
1. Fully qualified Area 1 applicants.
- Military membership in the Nebraska Air National Guard is mandatory.
- Direct Deposit is mandatory.
- Individuals with military incentive bonuses may be subject to recoupment.
- Permanent Change of Station Benefits will not be paid.
(1) Plans work to be accomplished by subordinates, sets and adjusts short-term priorities, and prepares schedules for completion of work. Assigns work to subordinates based on priorities, selective consideration of the difficulty and requirements of assignments, and the capabilities of employees. Evaluates work performance of subordinates. Gives advice, counsel, and instruction to employees on both work and administrative matters. Interviews candidates for position in the unit; recommends appointment, promotion, or reassignment to such positions. Hears and resolves complaints from employees, referring group grievances and more serious unresolved complaints to a higher level supervisor or managers. Effects minor disciplinary measures, such as warnings and reprimands, recommending other action in more serious cases. Identifies developmental and training needs of employees, providing or arranging for needed development and training. Finds ways to improve production or increase the quality of the work directed. Develops performance standards.
(2) Provides technical expertise and management oversight, in the installation, administration, optimization, and operation of multiple large and enhanced complex network and communication systems. Provides IAM II information system management support for all disciplines, ensuring the rigorous application of information security/information assurance policies, principles, and practices in the delivery of all information technology services. Independently oversees installation, configuration, testing, migration, integration, and operation within the network operating environment, ensuring appropriate allocation of resources and minimal service disruptions, and advises customer support specialists, by providing post-implementation support to end-users. Establishes project plans and priorities and coordinates with appropriate personnel to carry out the plans. Provides guidance to subordinates on the development of complex project plan tasks and timeliness. Provides detailed information regarding all technical aspects of equipment, software, and systems. Develops and applies project management techniques to the obtainment of new systems and enhancements to existing systems projects. Coordinates on decisions regarding strategic changes to IT capabilities. Reviews outstanding requirements, assesses and validates priorities, and provides solutions to customer problems. Oversees effort to set up, load, and configure hardware and software to operate networks as defined in the technical design plan. Coordinates installation and sustainment issues with IT and telecommunications specialist, and plans for post-implementation support to end-users. Monitors progress of assigned projects and ensures timelines are met. Oversees the test and implementation of vendor-supplied modifications to existing operating systems and the installation and relocation of equipment with organizations on or supported by the based IT function. Manages the preparation of plans and procedures and documentation for use by IT and telecommunications techniques and operations personnel and recommends revision of operating procedures as necessary. Assesses the security effectiveness of installed systems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To be qualifying, experience must have been progressively responsible with increasingly difficult and complex duties. Experience must have been at the next lower or second lower grade or its non-federal equivalent.
*CREDITING EXPERIENCE: NATIONAL GUARD SERVICE MAY BE CREDITED AS FULL-TIME EXPERIENCE WHEN EVALUATED AGAINST THE QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A MILITARY TECHNICIAN POSITION. EXPERIENCE MUST BE DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE POSITION AND MUST BE DESCRIBED IN THE WORK EXPERIENCE SECTION OF THE APPLICATION AND/OR RESUME. THE LEVEL OF EXPERIENCE IS DETERMINED BY THE ACTUAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES PERFORMED. BE DESCRIPTIVE, A SIMPLE LIST OF JOB TITLES AND DATES WILL NOT SUFFICE.
GENERAL EXPERIENCE: Experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automated a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaption of computer programs and systems. Technical, analytical, supervisory, or administrative experience which has demonstrated the candidate's ability to analyze problems or organization, workforce, information requirements, etc. and provide systematic solutions; and the ability to deal satisfactorily with others.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: Must possess at least 36 months of specialized experience, education or training that approaches techniques and requirements appropriate to an assigned computer applications area or computer specialty area in an organization. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment where this entailed coordination with others outside the organizational unit and development of project controls. Experience that required adaptions of guidelines or precedents to meet the needs of the assignment. Experience preparing documentation on cost/benefit studies where it involved summarizing the material and organizing it in a logical fashion. Experience in managing the function of the work to be performed. Experience including leading, directing and assigning work of personnel.
1. Ability to research and analyze data.
2. Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
3. Skill in organizing work in a logical sequence.
4. Knowledge of computer programming techniques.
5. Skill in evaluating and making recommendations for automated data processing programs and equipment.
NOTE: REGARDING QUALITY OF EXPERIENCE: Length of time is not of itself qualifying. Candidates' experience should be evaluated on the basis of duties performed rather than strictly on the rank of the individual; however, established compatibility criteria/assignment must be followed. The applicant's record of experience, training, and education must show possession of the knowledge, skills, and abilities needed to fully perform the duties of the position to be filled.
Substitution of Education for Specialized Experience: For a GS-5 level, a 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree may be substituted for the experience requirements. At the GS-7 level, one full year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement. At the GS-9 level, a masters or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree may be substituted. At the GS-11 level, a Ph.D. or equivalent, or 3 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree.
College transcripts MUST be submitted for professional positions or when substituting education for experience. NOTE: If you are using education as a substitution of experience OR education is a mandatory requirement to meet qualification, YOU MUST SUBMIT copies of college transcripts when required. Failure to provide college transcripts when required will result in an ineligible rating. NOTE: The Nebraska National Guard HRO has a document entitled "Secrets to Getting a Technician Job"; you are encouraged to follow the link provided if you are interested. http://ne.ng.mil/ArmyGuard/Tech%20Branch%20Documents/SecretstoGettingaTechnicianJob1.pdf
REMEMBER: Military training directly related to the type of work of the position may be substituted on a day for day basis.
To submit the documents requested follow the instructions below: Your resume, curriculum vitae, the Optional Application for Federal Employment (OF 612), or any other written format you choose to describe your job-related qualifications. Your document(s) can be submitted electronically using the document upload process or by fax. Please ensure that your resume contains your full name, address, phone and at least your last four digits of your social security number.
Note: Please ensure that your resume contains the basic information outlined under the Applying for a Federal Job link: http://www.opm.gov/forms/pdf_fill/of612.pdf
MILITARY REQUIREMENTS: Selected candidates will be required to be in a compatible military grade and assignment prior to the effective date of placement.
MILITARY GRADES: Maximum Military Grade E8; Minimum Military Grade E6 ; Military grade inversion within the full time work force is not permitted. The military grade of the full time supervisor must equal or exceed the military grade of the personnel supervised.
Compatible Military Assignments: Enlisted - 3D090
Individual does not have to be currently assigned to one of these career fields to be considered for this position; however compatibility requirements must be met prior to appointment to the position.
HOW YOU WILL BE EVALUATED:
Once the application process is complete, a review of your application will be made to ensure you meet the job requirements. To determine if you are qualified for this job, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the occupational questionnaire. The rating you receive is based on your responses to the questionnaire and supporting documents. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience your rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating.
The Federal government offers a number of exceptional benefits to its employees. The following Web addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees.
Main New Employee Website - http://www.opm.gov/insure/new_employ/index.asp
Flexible Spending Accounts - The Federal Flexible Spending Accounts Program (FSAFeds) allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp
Health Insurance - The Federal Employees Health Benefits Program offers over 100 optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp
Leave - Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - The Federal Employees' Group Life Insurance Program (FEGLI) offers: Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp
Long Term Care Insurance - The Federal Long Term Care Insurance Program (FLTCIP) provides long term care insurance for Federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com/
Retirement Program - Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan, and Thrift Savings Plan. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp
1. If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency.
2. Please do not send/fax/courier/email any applications or resumes to the National Guard Human Resources Office, you must apply on-line or fax your application to the fax number listed on this announcement with the prescribed Cover Letter. The Human Resources Office can only process materials received through USA Jobs.
usajobs.gov - 2 years ago
The mission of the United States Air Force is to fly, fight and win...in air, space and cyberspace. To achieve that mission, the Air Force...