Shell Downstream encompasses all the activities necessary to transform crude oil into petroleum products and petrochemicals, and deliver them around the world. Our Downstream businesses refine, supply, trade and ship crude oil worldwide, and manufacture, transport and market fuels, lubricants, bitumen, LPG and bulk petrochemicals for domestic, transportation and industrial uses. Altogether, the organisation employs some 65,000 people in around 100 counties.
Our Manufacturing business has the capability to process some four million barrels of crude oil per day, and operates in 35 refineries worldwide, producing gasoline, diesel, heating oils, aviation fuel, lubricants and bitumen. Delivering cutting edge technologies, our manufacturing sites contribute significantly to meeting the world’s energy needs.
At Shell our commitment is to satisfy the world’s need for energy with economically, socially and environmentally responsible solutions. We seek a high standard of performance, and understand that great ideas can change the world. If you want to work with a group of creative, ambitious and innovative professionals then you should consider Shell. We will provide you with the resources to put your ideas into action, worldwide opportunities to advance your career, and outstanding benefits and rewards that support your quality of life. Join us and let’s make a real difference together.
As Safety Engineer at our Deer Park location you must have a good understanding of management systems approach to safety and lead the continued improvement of HSSE management systems. There must be a willingness and ability to coach constructively for performance improvement across all departments and levels of the refinery with respect to: Personal safety, Process safety, Injury management and Industrial Hygiene. In this role you will act as a change-agent to implement new programs to meet corporate requirements and improve existing systems. Additional responsibilities include:
- Developing safety meeting modules
- Developing and revision of Standing Instructions
- Injury management
- Responding quickly and effectively to health and safety questions, concerns, and incidents
- Communicating and demonstrating the Life Saving Rules
- Providing day-to-day health and safety guidance
- Ensuring compliance with regulatory, Shell US, and Shell Global health and safety standards
- Developing Training Programs
- Conducting Training and Safety Meetings-Conducting Life Critical Safety Audits
- Developing strategic goals and tactics for continuous improvement in Health and Safety
- Facilitating Job Safety Analysis
- Trending and Analyzing Safety Data (Both leading and lagging indicators)
- Supporting projects and turnarounds
- Ensures continuous safe performance improvement as well as regulatory and Group compliance
- Accountable for specific safety programs and process implementation, oversight, metrics and reporting requirements
- Maintains close working relationship with stakeholders to ensure proper support and expectations are being met
- Provides support in all aspects of safety within the refinery
- Provide Health and Safety support for maintenance unit turnaround planning
- Provides support to emergency response activities and off-hours response
- OSHA Log 300 and Injury Reporting and Injury Management. Interpret recordability per OSHA and Performance, Monitoring and Reporting Manual(PMR) guidance. Assist in maintaining accurate injury frequency statistics
- Support and assist management of Contractor Safety Programs
- Participate in outside agency communications and reporting. Build and maintain constructive relationships with state and federal agencies. Escort same agencies when there is a need to conduct business in the plant
- Assist with and/or prepare for internal and external Health and Safety audits. Assist in closure of issues identified during audits
- Develop and deploy a framework of HSE assurance (formulation of audit and inspection programs, tracking of them, auditing in specific cases as necessary, cross-fertilization of learning)
- Monitor and evaluate emerging safety and health regulatory requirements for business impact and assist in the implementation
- Develop training modules and provide group training
- Coordinate Shell Deer Park Accident Prevention Programs such as Voluntary Protection Program, Safe by Zero and Departmental Health & Safety Teams (DHST)
- Serve and support Shell Deer Park Joint Health and Safety Team
- Provide support for all project work
The Shell Group offers an outstanding benefits package. No phone inquiries will be accepted.
- Must have legal authorization to work in the US on a full-time basis for anyone other than current employer
- Bachelor’s Degree in Heath & Safety or related technical field
- Minimum five (5) years of technical/ health & safety experience in petrochemical refining
- Certified Safety Professional Certification required
- Demonstrated knowledge of health and safety regulatory programs
- High proficiency of federal, state health and safety regulatory requirements
- Proven experience of managing contractors is preferred
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word and Excel
- Demonstrated strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate complex issues in a simple, straightforward manner
- Must be willing to serve on at least one Emergency Response Team
- Demonstrated Initiative (ability to take a project from "start to finish") required
- Must be able to obtain a Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)
- Ability to work flexible hours if necessary
Application Deadline :
Saturday 26 January 2013
Number of Vacancies :
In addition to the tasks outlined in this job description, you may be assigned other responsibilities as needed. The Royal Dutch/Shell Group of companies offers an outstanding benefits package. In order to be considered for this position, you must complete an online candidate profile. No phone inquiries will be accepted. Shell Companies in the U.S. are equal opportunity employers.
Please note: We occasionally amend or withdraw Shell jobs and reserve the right to do so at any time, including prior to the advertised closing date.
Before applying, you are advised to read our data protection policy. This policy describes the processing that may be associated with your personal data and informs you that your personal data may be transferred to Royal Dutch/Shell Group companies around the world.
The Shell Group and its approved recruitment consultants will never ask you for a fee to process or consider your application for a career with Shell. Anyone who demands such a fee is not an authorised Shell representative and you are strongly advised to refuse any such demand.
Shell is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
While some may sell sea shells by the sea shore, Shell Exploration & Production Company (SEPCo) drills oil wells far from the gulf...