PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
Manage sales at the territory level and serve as the primary
liaison between customers and EMD Serono. This position focuses
on building customer alliances, establishing and maintaining
product market leadership and achieving short and long term sales
objectives by identifying customer needs and providing solutions
to create a professional relationship between the customer and
: Neurology team including Management, Marketing, Medical
Affairs/Medical Liaisons, Strategic Accounts, Managed Markets,
Distribution, TA Controller, Sales Training//Commercial
Excellence, Customer Service, Medical Reimbursement,
Communications, KAM peers within TA, Essential Home Office
Services – Human Resources, IS, Finance, Business Intelligence
& Analytics, Legal and Compliance
: Physicians and other key healthcare professionals, Co-promote
Partners, Patient Advocacy Associations, Field Nurses
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Achieve territory sales
goals and objectives consistent with Company and TA guidelines,
KAM core competencies through The Merck Competency Compass, and
- Create and execute territory and key account plans to
achieve aggressive goals and objectives for continued
- Maintain a superior level of product, market,
managed care, customer and distribution knowledge
to accomplish territory objectives including strengthening
current loyalist positions and expanding and building new
- Optimize a multi-product portfolio.
- Plan and implement effective professional and patient
- Maintain an expert operating knowledge of all company
policies and guidelines including but not limited to those
addressing interactions with healthcare professionals,
Compliance, Business Conduct and PhRMA.
- Demonstrate strong critical analysis and planning skills in
reviewing data, understanding trends, preparing and
communicating applicable plans
- Manage the territory budget and accurately report budget
activity to Area/Regional management.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with the
MS/Neurology medical community, with a high science approach
focused on identifying needs and providing solutions.
- Develop and maintain strong working knowledge and
relationships with decision makers in the reimbursement and
managed health care area as appropriate.
- Plan, organize and deliver effective and approved
presentations to achieve product formulary acceptance and
- Plan and execute strategic territory and Key Account plans
consistently, utilizing approved tactics advancing, education,
key company messages and sales.
- Develop and maintain a collaborative approach with EMD
Serono peers and teammates, such as Marketing, Sales, Strategic
Accounts, Medical Operations, Training, Managed Markets, and
Medical Reimbursement Specialists as well as all applicable
- Seek out, establish and maintain an excellent level of
communication with regional Neurology management.
- Provide all necessary and requested field data on a timely
- Actively participate in presentations and discussions
during Area and/or Regional Meetings.
- Influence, guide and support peers in achievement of their
individual territory goals.
EMD Serono is the biopharmaceutical division of Merck KGaA,
Darmstadt, Germany, a global pharmaceutical and chemical group.
We strive to create value and benefit patients by transforming
medical science into breakthrough solutions in our core
therapeutic areas of neurodegenerative diseases, fertility and
metabolic endocrinology, as well as oncology and
autoimmune/inflammatory diseases as emerging areas of
- Actively demonstrate the highest level of professionalism,
ethical behavior and integrity in all aspects of KAM
- Recognize and demonstrate sensitivity to and maintain a
level of confidentiality as required both internally and
- Maintain a professional demeanor consistent with EMD Serono
pharmaceutical sales philosophy, protocols and
- Maintain an excellent level of continuous-improvement,
personal and professional growth to grow territory sales and
accomplish territory objectives.
- Maintain a high level of home office and regional
interaction necessary to effectively seize external (i.e.:
Sales) and internal (i.e.: process improvement)
- Demonstrate leadership with peer groups and management
helping to propagate a single (ONE) team approach to the
EDUCATION LEVEL AND LANGUAGES REQUIRED
PROFESSIONAL SKILLS, QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
(years experience minimally necessary for success in
- Bachelor's Degree required.
- A valid and active driver’s license is required for this
- English required. Other language skills may be considered a
COMPETENCIES (knowledge, skills, abilities,
- Minimum 3-5 years sales experience in the
pharmaceutical/health care industry with demonstrated success
in sales performance.
- Experience in MS, Neurology, CNS and Specialty Biologics
markets highly desired
- Scientific or clinical background desirable.
- Experience selling a multi-product portfolio highly
- Experience with the co-promotion of product(s) or
service(s) highly desired
ADA REQUIREMENTS (i.e., normal office duties; must be
able to push, lift, pull up to 30 pounds; etc.)
- Knowledge of managed care and reimbursement systems and
pull through strategies highly desirable.
- Able to support multiple tasks, initiatives, and projects
- Self-motivated and must thrive on challenge
- Maintain personal level of accountability and ownership of
- Ability to work as a member of a team to accomplish
- Excellent communication, organizational and interpersonal
- Energetic, flexible, enthusiastic and highly
- Customer oriented.
- Must have compassion or a passion for MS/Neurology
- Strong sales, time management and administrative
- Minimum of intermediate level computer skills (MS Office
Equal Employment Opportunity
- Normal Office Duties
- Able to travel up to 80%, may vary based on location
The Company is an Equal Employment Opportunity
No employee or applicant for employment will be
discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, age,
sex, sexual orientation, national origin, ancestry, disability,
military or veteran status, genetic information, gender identity,
or any other classification protected by applicable federal,
state, or local law.
This policy of Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all
policies and programs relating to recruitment and hiring,
promotion, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination, and
all other terms and conditions of employment.
Any applicant or employee who believes they have been
discriminated against by the Company or anyone acting on behalf
of the Company must report any concerns to his/her Human
Resources Business Partner, Legal, or Compliance immediately. The
Company will not retaliate against any individual because he/she
made a good faith report of discrimination.
Merck Serono S.A - 23 months ago