This position has responsibility for all sales in a geographic radius of a corrugated manufacturing facility. He/she will lead and coach a sales representative team to establish and maintain major account relationships and meet personal sales targets within the full line of products or combination of products. The Sales Manager will oversee development of a business plan for each account. In addition, the Sales Manager will ensure excellent customer service including monitoring timely delivery, quality, pricing and design.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
· Meet or exceed monthly, quarterly and yearly sales goals as determined by sales budgets and forecasts, with a focus on profitable volume growth and increasing operating profit margins.
· Define and execute business strategies for profitably growing existing business and generating new business.
· Provide leadership to coordinate sales and marketing programs with the plant’s manufacturing and operations management, customer service and finance functions to ensure maximum effectiveness and profitability.
· Develop and monitor procedures regarding new account activity.
· Manage and control the pricing function.
· Interface with Corporate Sales & Marketing to maximize Major Account Program.
· Lead or co-lead key sales initiatives for larger accounts or national accounts. Coordinate with other Sales Managers and corporate Sales and Marketing personnel as needed.
· Participate in weekly cost control meetings and create forecasts that closely mirror actual results by the end of the month.
· Develop pricing and RFPs that contribute to profitability and volume forecasts outlined for year.
· Assist and/or lead collection efforts in conjunction with Finance as appropriate.
· Control departmental expenses to adhere to yearly budget.
· Ensure sales organization is following Corporate safety policies through safe behaviors and practices. This will occur through training, communications and monitoring.
· Lead an integrated talent management process for the department. Assess and develop competencies of team in consultation with General Manager, Director, Sales and Marketing and Human Resources.
· Coach and develop sales representatives and other employees to maximize their effectiveness. Identify and develop high potential employees for levels of greater responsibility and scope.
· Recruit talent that will address needs of facility and fill technical and competency gaps within organization.
· Ensure performance feedback and appraisals are completed effectively and on a timely basis. Reward and recognize employees with a pay for performance approach.
· Hold people accountable for performance; work with under-performers on training assistance, or put them in documented performance improvement plans and/or disciplinary programs as necessary.
Supervises subordinate employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business or related field preferred.
- Post graduate training or degree in Marketing, Business or Management preferred.
Previous Work Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible business to business sales leadership experience.
- Will have led the sales functions at a manufacturing site or significant operation within the facility.
- Will have superb sales, customer service, administrative as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Will have ideally had previous experience leading a project team or group of employees.
- Must possess a strong business and financial background and be process and results-driven.
- Experience within Corrugated, paper or similar manufacturing environments are preferred.
- Working knowledge of current business software technologies is required.
ROUTINE DECISIONS AND FORMAL POLICY SETTING
- Performs duties within scope of general policies, procedures and objectives. Analyzes problems and performs needs assessments. Uses judgment in adapting broad guidelines to achieve desired result. Regularly exercises independent judgment within accepted practices. Makes recommendations that affect policies, procedures and practices. Refers exceptions to policy and procedures to the supervisor.
- Develops objectives and general policies and procedures for a specific program or functional area of responsibility within general scope of established operational goals and plans. Day-to-day work and decisions do not require direction or review by immediate supervisor. End results are reviewed by supervisor. Strategic issues are referred to supervisor.
- Develops strategic direction, goals, plans and policies for an area of responsibility. Sets broad objectives and is accountable for overall results in respective area of responsibility. Authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance. Requires high degree of independent judgment and problem solving of complex problems.
Minimum 50% travel within and beyond local market is required. Occasional overnight travel may also be required.
Excellent communication skills (written and verbal) required, including ability to provide briefing and training to diverse audiences. Demonstrated ability to resolve complex problems involving people, process and program issues required.
KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation
- 21 months ago - save job
KapStone Paper and Packaging Corporation was formed in April 2005 by industry veterans to establish operating businesses in the paper,...