Will be a member of the 2X Program Business Mgt Division/Project Controls Section and will report administratively to the Scheduling Group Supervisor of 7X, while reporting programmatically to the selected Project/Project Business Manager. Will assess or be responsible for the creation, maintenance, status, analysis, and reporting of all project schedules and associated metrics. Duties will include development of detailed network schedules, extraction and analysis of various schedule databases (e.g., project receivable/deliverable database, baseline vs. actual activity count database, etc.); analysis of performance measurement system (earned value) data, preparation of slack tables, critical path analysis, etc., for monthly/quarterly reporting; and maintenance of schedule and performance measurement website.
Will serve as an integral partner in the business team. Will work with the project team to schedule the project elements, project lifecycle, production, materiel, etc. Will promote and foster best business practices, as applicable, in accordance with established Institutional practices. Will be responsible for the schedule planning, analysis, reporting, project performance assessment and/or earned value implementation, and other schedule related support and services.
• Develops the initial project component/element schedule plan with the project or product team. Assesses and proposes project-appropriate approaches or alternatives.
• Performs complex schedule analysis utilizing appropriate financial or business tools and ensures the schedule has all elements accounted for and that deliverable relationships are defined accurately.
• Drafts the horizontal traceability between subsystem schedule plans and vertical traceability to the intermediate and top level schedule.
• Analyzes and validates data and creates reports for quarterly reports for the project status.
• Analyzes the project assessment to ensure project/product schedule is going according to plan. Identifies and recommends resolutions of anomalies Prepares earned value information and identifies and recommends alternatives for solutions of any gaps and issues.
• Performs complex and wide-ranging job functions and activities across disciplines.
• Works independently on important assignments and projects with only limited supervision, typically receiving only general instructions.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment to compare and evaluate various methods, approaches, and resources and decide which will best accomplish each aspect of such assignments and projects.
• Work is evaluated upon completion for results.
• Responsible for approving others’ work and ensuring compliance with requirements on significant projects and assignments.
• Responsible for completing significant project or assignment milestones.
• Actions and decisions will have a significant positive impact on a functional organization due to improvements in methods, use of technology, and/or policies and creation of additional work product that increases value of the functional organization.
• Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions will likely have a substantial adverse impact on team or functional organization’s ability to achieve significant project objectives.
• Provides direction and mentoring to others within the organization.
• Regular use of creativity and innovation to address important issues.
• Analysis of situation or data requires identification, review and interpretation of complex factors as well as decisions as to policies, procedures and practices.
• Exercises discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to significant problems and determining appropriate resolutions.
• Interactions normally involve exchanging and validating comprehensive and analytical information.
• Frequent interaction with customers and peers inside and outside organization on significant matters.
• Occasional interactions with industry organizations.
• Contributes as a key team member on teams inside or outside own organization, project, activity or function.
• May lead teams.
• Typically requires a Bachelors degree in Business, Engineering Management, Construction Management, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 1 years of related experience; or PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 0 years related experience.
• Broad knowledge in one or more related fields of the following areas: critical path method (CPM) scheduling, earned value management (EVM), schedule margin management, and other schedule performance measurement analysis and reporting techniques.
• Extensive understanding and wide application of advanced principles, theories, concepts and techniques in critical path methodology in project schedule development, including the significance of cost and schedule integration as it relates to earned value management (EVM).
• Proficient in database and spreadsheet environment, with excellent personal computer skills. Excellent written and oral communications skills.
• Extensive knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
• Experience in network schedule development and integrated cost-schedule planning using advanced scheduling techniques such as critical path analysis and slack analysis.
• Previous experience working with MS Project Server, Cobra, and Milestones Pro software.
• Experience with web page/html editing and advanced Excel spreadsheet functions.
• Experience in work breakdown structure (WBS) development.
• Experience with cost-schedule baseline change control processes.
If you'd like to discover new worlds with our innovative team and enjoy a competitive salary and impressive benefits with the renowned leader in space exploration, apply now!
If you need special assistance or an accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or Staffing@jpl.nasa.gov.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer devoted to work force diversity.
Jet Propulsion Laboratory - 16 months ago