Reporting to the Special Assistant to the President, the Scheduler/Assistant has responsibility for maintaining the President’s calendar, scheduling appointments and meetings, and making other arrangements as required. This responsibility extends to both the President’s Barnard schedule and her activities in the larger academic community outside of Barnard.
Reports to Title
Special Assistant to the President
Full or Part Time
Number Of Months
Position End Date (if temporary)
2013 -00019- AS
Position Summary Information
Essential Duties Summary
• Provides high-level administrative support, primarily in overseeing the complex scheduling of the president’s time.
• Maintain the President’s calendar, scheduling appointments and meetings, and making other arrangements as required.
• Works with President’s Council members’ staff and other administrative offices to schedule standing weekly, monthly and annual meetings.
• Prepare annual calendar and schedule of events, including parties, meetings and events that take place at the president’s residence.
• Works with the special assistant, administrative assistant and events office to ensure that events at the President’s residence and the President’s travel are scheduled appropriately.
• Responsible for all the President’s travel arrangements, both college, external board- related and personal, with support from the Administrative Assistant.
• Manage car service, and arrange all transportation details, including electronic devices, alternate options in case of emergencies, translators, etc. with support from the Administrative Assistant.
• Manages requests for appointments with the president, whether in person or via mail, telephone or email, by prioritizing, researching and responding, as appropriate
• Drafts written responses to requests for the president to attend meetings, appointments or speaking engagements and other scheduling-related correspondence, both internal and external
• Prepares or obtains background materials for meetings and events that the president attends.
• Work with the Special Assistant to the president to coordinate the operation of the president’s office to ensure that it runs smoothly and efficiently.
• Coordinates and communicates the president’s office hours with students.
• Partner with Special Assistant to the president on strategic, long-term planning of the president’s schedule in the context of the capital campaign.
Required Qualification Summary
• Bachelor’s degree
• 4 to 6 years of related experience, preferably assisting a chief or senior executive.
• Flexibility regarding work schedule and duties.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, poised, confident and articulate with individuals and groups.
• Superior organizational skills; ability to handle multiple assignments and changing priorities quickly and efficiently as circumstances dictate.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Ability to deal with sensitive and complex situations, problems, and confidential information and deal appropriately with various College and external communities.
• Strong customer service orientation and the ability to interact effectively with diverse constituencies
• Close attention to detail and accuracy with a strong work ethic.
• Deadline driven and results oriented.
• Ability to exercise tact and discretion; appreciation of the confidential nature of verbal and written communications.
• Strong commitment to customer focused, relationship based service.
• Exceptional verbal, writing and proofreading skills. Must be detail-oriented and accurate.
• Ability to work independently while functioning as part of a team.
• Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines
• Demonstrated ability to plan and coordinate meetings and special events
• Demonstrated ability to gain the confidence and respect of senior administrators, volunteers, and colleagues.
• Excellent computer proficiency, including e-mail and calendars on Google, web browsers, and the Microsoft Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Access).
Preferred Qualification Summary
• Experience in an academic institution
• Knowledge of Barnard College
Physical Demands Summary
Posting Detail Information
Barnard College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from women and from individuals of diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds.
Open Until Filled